Merry Christmas FTC

The husband had to work Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, so I delayed his Christmas dinner to tonight. Just put a 21 lb. Choice prime rib roast (on sale at Albertson’s with a coupon for $4.49/lb.!) in the oven. Trying the reverse sear technique for the first time a la Food Lab and Kenji Lopez-Alt. It’s already so much easier than searing the bastard in the roasting pan prior to and getting oil splatters all over my stovetop.
My sister will be over later to help with the sides…mashed potatoes, corn casserole, cheeses garlic bread, roasted Brussels sprouts, and sous vide carrots with Bordier yuzu butter I picked up at Epicurus.
My only fail was I forgot to consider the fact that my roasting pan wasn’t big enough to accommodate such a beast. It’s a tad to small for the roast. Had to pick up a few disposable aluminum roasting pans…I tripled them up and have a baking sheet underneath to help with a structural integrity.
It should be a casual dinner tonight with assorted family and friends.

5 Likes

21#!!! Wow! How many ribs is that? I’m sure I’ve never seen one that big. Enjoy.

It’s a full 7 rib roast. Prior to today, the largest I’ve ever done is a 20 lb…also a 7 rib roast.

1 Like

Ha! This was the Westside Hop Li, right?

The one on Pico.

Oops, got my Hops confused – I was thinking of Hop Woo on Olympic. Only off by a few letters and a couple of blocks. :o) Or is that side of the 405 even the Westside anyway? My non-localness is showing.

1 Like