Michelin California 2020 Predictions

Hasn’t happened in San Francisco. Some tourists come to town and go to nothing but Michelin tasting-menu places but if you look at the Plate and Bib Gourmand lists you get a sense of the diverse scene.

It probably limits diversity at the high end, though Saison has been moving in a different direction, with fewer courses and larger portions. And even before Michelin came to town almost all restaurants that raised prices to the point where entrees would be over $40 moved to some sort of fixed-price scheme.

Asian-Ya and Yongsusan probably are, since along with Park’s and Seoul Jung they were in the last one.

Ok, ok… Now that I’ve had my first coffee this morning, I will concede that. But I will agree with Robert here:

Fiven the unwritten rule against Italian restaurants without heavy French influence getting stars, it’ll probably get The Plate. Same for Osteria Mozza.

Similarly, Petit Trois might get a star because of the extra credit for Frenchiness.

They had a star in the 2 guides that came out back in the days so I’m not convinced that Osteria Mozza will be relegated.

Anyone been lately?
I went once and it was nothing great.

Most Korean restaurants in Ktown are aware of the Michelin Guide. Whether or not they actually care enough to cater to Michelin is a different question.

I know these LA restaurants do not necessarily fit into the Michelin system but it would be shame if Bestia, Majordomo, Bavel, Republique, Gjelina and Chi Spacca collectively receive 0 stars. So much good food.

Right you are about Osteria Mozza getting a star in the 2009 guide.

TWO STARS

• Melisse
  • Providence
  • Spago
  • Urasawa

ONE STAR

• Asanebo
  • Bastide
  • CUT
  • Dining Room at the Langham Pasadena
  • Gordon Ramsay at The London
  • Hatfield’s
  • La Botte
  • Mori Sushi
  • Ortolan
  • Osteria Mozza
  • Patina
  • Sona
  • Sushi Zo
  • Trattoria Tre Venezie
  • Valentino
  • Water Grill

BIB GOURMAND

• Angelini Osteria
  • AOC
  • Babita
  • Bistro 561
  • Border Grill
  • Cholada
  • Ciudad
  • Cru
  • Elite
  • Fraiche
  • Girasole
  • Honda-Ya
  • Il Pastaio
  • Ita-Cho
  • Izayoi
  • Katsu-Ya
  • K-ZO
  • Literati II
  • Lu Din Gee Cafe
  • Melrose Bar & Grill
  • Nook Bistro
  • Pizzeria Mozza
  • Rustic Canyon
  • Triumphal Palace
  • Typhoon
  • Violet

what a fucking Joke…

Osteria mozza has had a star since 2008

Osteria Mozza is not in the 2008 guide, only the 2009. I have copies of both right here.

1 Like

I have. I feel like Michelin has been really hyping up Sacramento, and the Kitchen is one of the only two restaurants (other than Localis) that is even attempting Michelin-star type food. The food is quite banal (which isn’t necessarily a bad thing in Michelin terms), but its a nice concept, everything is executed perfectly, and flavors are good.

The Sacramento tourist agency is co-funding the California edition with the California tourist agency.

http://foodtalkcentral.com/t/the-michelin-guide-to-return-to-los-angeles-as-part-of-new-california-edition/9236

Interesting. I’ve heard of this place before. It will certainly be eligible to get a star, and most likely it will be inspected. Not sure if it will get a star, though.

One of my friends was just joking about that place the other day.

Just confirmed Queenie’s is open Mondays, so will stop there on way home. May stay several nights at Harbor House Inn since rooms are only about $425 a night.

https://www.exploretock.com/theharborhouseinn/

There’s also The Bewildered Pig in suburban Philo. I was off the grid when I ate there and forgot to post about it later.

As to all the few individuals with sarcastic responses, I understand how you feel, but I hope you have an open mind. It’s unlikely the Michelin guide will bring any harm…which city do you think’s dining scene was harmed by Michelin? The Michelin guide is still very well respected by almost all chefs, and can be a major turning point for businesses. I can say definitively in San Francisco Bay Area it has caused the dining scene to evolve for the better at the top level…it has allowed chefs from different backgrounds to have their cuisine also be perceived as top caliber and broken the mold of French fine dining. Compare San Francisco in 2006 to San Francisco today…instead of being helmed by Gary Danko, La Folie, Campton Place, and Michael Mina (which are all still around and going strong btw, though two of them now serve insanely good Indian and Egyptian cuisine instead of French), we now have insanely good Benu, rustic fine Saison, Mexican marvel Californios, casual and conversational Lazy Bear, the list goes on. Michelin, IMO, encourages and rewards diversity at the high end instead of limiting it. Without Michelin recognition I don’t think these restaurants would have thrived as much. Chefs from around the country now flock to San Francisco as well…be it the the legendary Laurent Gras or culinary school interns looking for a stage. From a business perspective it is good too…for instance Michael Cimarusti says a large portion of Providence clientele still comes in because of their Michelin rating. It’s a total positive cycle that boosts the food economy.

1 Like

We used to live at Lake Tahoe and never ate there. Driving from Truckee back to the lake over Brockway Summit after wine never seemed like a good idea. Since we live in Reno now, straight shot on I-80, I’m thinking about doing an early dinner maybe for my birthday in early June. I’ve chatted with a/the chef at a fave Mexican place. Truckee is really booming with lots of Bay Area people who can ‘work from home’ moving in.

2 Likes

Michelin just replaced the old mold with a new one taken from The French Laundry around 20 years ago.

Any restaurant that wants two or three stars has to serve a long series of elaborately plated canapes produced with French technique. That is not the only kind of meal that is worth a detour or special journey.

1 Like

Hatfield’s in the old guide with 1 star gives me hope that more LA restaurants than we think will get 1-2 stars.