Mooncakes in LA

Yes, that was the time! Had I known, I would’ve introduced myself. Oh, well. Next time. :wink:

We were talking about all the extravagant and weird ones, I forgot to ask…

Does anyone have suggestions for the best Lotus Seed & Egg Mooncakes?

$35 for the D24
$50 for the same brand but with Mao Shan Wang

This pricing is from Wing Hip Fung in the square market plaza in rosemead, they have plenty of both in stock. I assume prices will be similar all around. This is the first time I have seen the mao shan wang ones in stock, usually the coolers just have D24.

1 Like

Are D24 and Mao Shan Wang different species of durian? My friend can read Chinese characters and said he couldn’t tell how the 2 differed.

The Mao Shan Wang ones are also present at either Good Fortune or SG Superstore (or possibly both).

Yes.

The latter is like the king of durians; the former is merely a different species of durian.

1 Like

aka

1 Like

Perhaps a silly question, but is the smell much stronger after they’ve been cut open? I ask b/c I smelled some fresh ones (unopened) while I was at Good Fortune and didn’t really find the odor to be particularly offensive (although could understand why others might). I don’t think I’ve ever eaten one b/f…

Yes. Cutting one open is like screaming, “Release the beast!”

3 Likes

Was it frozen? Freezing mutes the smell; it becomes stronger as it warms up…

1 Like

My parents will be so pleased. I’m going on a spree this weekend to pick up from a few different locations for them. Do I have to buy the whole box or can I purchase singles?

Markets come in boxed sets.

Bakeries have both individual and boxed sets.

Hi @ipsedixit,

When you say “made-to-measure” what do you mean? Do you recommend I Fu Tang as the best for the regular Lotus Seed style Mooncakes? Thanks.

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:66, topic:4038, full:true”]

Hi @ipsedixit,

When you say “made-to-measure” what do you mean? [/quote]

You call and tell them what you would like. You need to call in advance, may be too late now. And there are minimum order requirements. But you should call and ask.

What do you mean by “regular” Lotus seed style mooncakes?

If you can clarify, I can ask people I know who actually eat these things.

Hi @ipsedixit,

LOLOL. :smile: Thanks. OK, I get it, they are not for eating. :wink:

Don’t know if it had been frozen beforehand, but they were sitting unrefrigerated on display near the door (I assume they were room temp, at that point).

I’m so tempted to buy one to see what they taste like! But I think my partner would not respond well to such a potentially funky odor. :frowning:

Not @ipsedixit, but I just tried a Wing Wah one (white lotus). It was way better than the IFT mini-mooncake (presumably “regular” lotus?) I had yesterday. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @paranoidgarliclover,

Thanks for the info! :slight_smile: I’ll have to seek that one out. Did you get the Wing Wah brand at SG Superstore also? Thanks.

No Wing Wah at SG Superstore when I went on Sunday. Lots of Wing Wah at Good Fortune, though. SG Superstore and Good Fortune has had different brands of the frozen snow-skin ones (except for the ones w/ durian mentioned above).

Is anyone interested in doing a mooncake swap? I am interested in trying different kinds and not gluttonous enough to buy the whole box, leaving my only options being bakeries. I’m specifically interested in trying the durian snowy mooncake in that orange box (D24 or Mao Shan Wang) and also would be open to the ones that aren’t available in bakeries (no Kee Wah, IFT, etc.), ones where I would have to buy a box if I wanted to try them. Also interested in more inventive flavors that I saw in Asia like chestnut, green tea, sesame, etc. I have Mei-xin’s low sugar lotus seed one yolk if people are interested.

Spent the morning in San Gabriel picking up treats for my parents. We went to Sunny Bakery, I Fu Tang, and SG Superstore. We bought so many of the mini ones at I Fu Tang that they gifted us with a couple of free ones. I only got a couple to try because I’m not a big mooncake fan. Here’s the haul…I’m hoping my parents will be most pleased with the durian flavored ones.

6 Likes

Huge thanks to @paranoidgarliclover. :slight_smile:

We tried the Wing Wah brand White Lotus Mooncake with Double Yolks. And we tried their Low Sugar version (very cool).

It was indeed pretty tasty, and the Low Sugar version was just the right level of sweet. I can’t imagine having even more sugar than the version we tried.

Thanks!

1 Like