New Office - Marina del Rey - can't find a decent lunch

I LOVE the Broccoli Soup as well. :smile:

1 Like

Oooo… Walking distance in MDR isn’t why offices move there. Enjoy your lovely fresh air, temperate weather and relaxing walks near the Marina! Hope you have a generous boss that once a year takes to to Cafe Del Rey for your birthday! Downtown will be there for you when you vist!!

As mentioned above, I love Urban Plates! Although I never had a problem with the parking (aside from the lack of electric plug for my dearest Edison)… There is a lot of construction but I’ve worked in the area for many years and it’s always been that way.

Aside from that…

• Whole Foods Salad bar is $1/lb off on Wednesdays.
  • Gabby’s Express has inexpensive lunch specials
  • There are often Fancy foods trucks over by TOMs and Chait
  • Howard Hughes Center has a Farmers Market on Thursdays with several vendors including a REALLY good Poke Bowl lady (First 30 minutes free. $2 for the hour)

When I know my week is completely Fk’d, the Soups and Ready Made Salads/Sandwiches at Sprouts are pretty good. Sprouts soups are the best in terms of the super markets in the area, especially whole foods. I always have one in my work fridge.

–Dommy!

3 Likes

OH! I also forgot to mention, MDR is in the range of Uber eats.

–Dommy!

1 Like

One of these days ROC is supposed to open up in Playa Vista.

2 Likes

The parking structure adjacent to Whole Foods et al is pretty big - and free.

For now…they have places where the gates can go up at any minute……

OK. So as Homer says - “So far…”

2 Likes

Hal’s (from Abbot Kinney in Venice) is opening at the Runway Playa Vista next year…

Second that. Also second Wurstkuche.

Sunny Blue might work.
Tamara’s Tamales gets mixed reviews but I am a fan.

1 Like

Good call! I always enjoy Sunny Blue! :))

–Dommy!

1 Like

Whole Foods Playa Vista has a cart called, “Runway Mediterranean Cart,” that operates during lunch and dinner hours. It basically offers wraps with choice of chicken, beef or falafel. They had samples of the falafel wrap out so I tried it - pretty good! It is about a foot long and costs $8. I got one and brought it home - everyone liked it.

Also went to Urban Plates to p/u dinner. The various options run about $10-12 per. The portions are generous, the ingredients are fresh and well prepared and the dining area is large. Ordered the chicken and salmon Caesers, beef steak plate and the beef/mushroom braise w/ mushrooms and wine along with mashed potatoes, coconut/lemon cake, apple crisp cake and banana cream pie. All were well received, particularly the beef dishes.

This part of Playa Vista is attractive for its ease of parking, ever-increasing food options and several outdoor eating areas.

I’ve been going to this Whole Foods since Day One because of the beer selection - the manager of this dept is a serious beer head, so selection is very good. He also makes the call on the taps at their bar, so the selection is always varied and interesting. Alpine Brewery Duet on tap right now…

Ugh, no, just no. This is the first upscale burger place I’ve ever walked out and swore never again. I even told the manager to keep his gift cards because I was never spending a dime in that place again. Horrible and clueless service. The food was horribly over priced for what it was. I ordered my patty rare, it came rare but the meat inside was more like a meat paste. Horrible texture, the crust was barely brown and unseasoned. I have no opinion about the fries since they couldn’t manage to deliver it to us for over the hour we were there. Then were shocked we wanted a refund on our fries when they tried delivering it as we were getting up.

Wow.

My tries at the El Segundo location were pretty fucking good.

But your case sounds pretty fucking bad.

The prices were still in line for the going gourmet burger rate.

Btw thanks for the maple block recommendatiin.

Second Ekkamai. An order of their veggie fresh rolls would make a good lunch on the light side. Two orders will set you back $12 and be a very full lunch.

Tamarac tamales ???

jase:
i gotta concur with you re: hopdoddy.
the dumbest seating/ordering system going.
the veggie burger was the worst i’ve had ever, anywhere.
the worst
the veggie burger at johnny rockets (which is just a boca burger) is FAR FAR superior.

Not me - another poster mentioned Tamara’s Tamales on Washington Blvd. It’s on the 13300-blk.

1 Like

My fucking bad.

I can’t quite seem to do anything right today.

You’re only about a mile and a half from Gjelina Takeaway.

And Gjusta for fucks sake.

1 Like