New opening at LA Weekly

Yes, that is the Tweet I’m referencing.

You could take that to mean they’re going to hire a full-time staff reviewer.

I do. I’m not one of the several here questioning whether they’ll bother to replace Besha or simply use freelancers. As Dommy replied, it seems to be forgotten that when Jonathan Gold left the Weekly, there were a series of tryouts - reviews by various writers - until Besha was hired. It wouldn’t surprise me for the same to happen this time around.

“Staff writers” filling in at the Weekly isn’t likely since one can count the number of staff writers there on one hand and still have room. That’s why so much is written by freelancers and the editors themselves.

It’s not necessarily the editor’s decision whether to replace her with a full-time staffer. When I’ve had inside information about that sort of thing in the past it usually came down from corporate. Since the Voice Media Group is currently trying to sell the paper, they might want to leave the position open and let the buyer decide what to do.

True. Now this, I could see. Though I couldn’t see it happening for a massively extended period (months, perhaps). It’s all dependent on if there is an actual buyer in the wings or not.

If VMG can’t find a buyer … well, that probably wouldn’t be good for the editorial department.

Not much ever is, these days.

The Voice itself shut down its print edition.

Voice Media Group sold the Village Voice to Peter Barbey in 2015.

http://www.laweekly.com/news/voice-media-group-to-sell-la-weekly-to-semanal-media-llc-8766459

That is a press release.

1 Like

Since semanal is Spanish for weekly, maybe Gustavo Arellano is behind it so he can go mano a mano with OC Weekly.

1 Like

It could also be a typo for “seminal”.

1 Like

LAW → NYT

7 Likes

can not blame her, sounds like a promotion.

2 Likes

Best review i’ve read so far
http://www.laweekly.com/restaurants/killer-noodle-review-takehiro-tsujitas-latest-is-fiery-but-does-it-slay-8876347

5 Likes

This writer’s good.

4 Likes

Lucas Peterson is great.

2 Likes

I liked the review but had some pedantic issues:

1. RETRACTED: “Tsujita Annex (a back fat–heavy homage to Tokyo’s Ramen Jiro)”_

RETRACTED: Not sure he understands what Jiro-kei ramen is here. It would usually be called “Jiro Ramen/Jiro-style Ramen/Jiro-kei Ramen” but hard to imagine calling it “Ramen Jiro”. Jiro-kei ramen has no relation to Jiro Sushi.

As @boogiebaby pointed out, the writer is referring to the shop, not the style.

1. I would have liked to see him highlight the difference between Japanese sansho and Chinese sichuan peppers. (Although, I think Killer Noodle uses Chinese sichuan.)

2. "The soups come with a thinner, looser noodle that I thought lacked the customary Tsujita bite; while the earthiness of the wheat and alkali undertone of the kansui was there, perhaps they spent a minute too long in the cooker. They had, to quote Ken Watanabe in Tampopo, “sincerity but they lack guts.” "

Their noodle selection was purposeful, I must believe. They wanted a more soothing, softer noodle to match the lighter shio broth. When going to a legitimate ramen restaurant, you almost always have the option to direct the kitchen on the doneness of your noodles–from very soft to very hard. I would recommend that he order very hard noodles next time and if he still doesn’t like them, it is due to the noodle selection and not the doneness of the noodles.

1. Too many Tampopo references. This makes it seem as if Tampopo is his only source of reference when it comes to ramen. Also, the ramen eaten in Tampopo (and drunk to the last drop) was not the same as the ramen Killer Noodle is serving. Ramen does not need to be of the drink-to-the-last-drop variety to be good. In fact, I would guess that the majority of Japanese people in Japan choose not to drink all of the soup due to it’s high fat and sodium content. Rather than drinking all of the soup at Killer Noodle, I would recommend ordering a side of rice and sopping it up–especially with the “dry” versions.

Edit: #1 retracted, sorry Lucas. Thank you, @boogiebaby.

1 Like

Isn’t Ramen Jiro is a chain of ramen restaurants in Japan?

2 Likes