New opening at LA Weekly

Thank you! I’m blushing.

I have no plans and a million plans, you know? This thing has been a whirlwind.

14 Likes

Stay strong. You have been a bright light in this atrocity. Making the city proud!

4 Likes

We’re rooting for you! (By the way, @kevin says Hi.)

7 Likes

Thank you for your support, everybody! It means a lot and calms my flailing a bit. It’s so nice of you!

6 Likes

and that aint no fucking joke

3 Likes

I drive by the LA Weekly offices on Sepulveda/Venice last night. The building is for lease. So depressing. That mural is amazing.

2 Likes

Is the new Weekly article about the worst food trends of 2017 from Kevin from the boards? If so, screw that. Nobody should be writing for the LA Weekly after that bloodbath. Also, it ain’t a particularly good article. A click-bait-y list. Good riddance.

6 Likes

Some of the articles submitted before the layoffs may still be in the pipeline.

Yes

In the case of Javier Cabral’s review and a few non-food articles that ran for a week or two after, yes, they were in the pipeline. In the case of the ones by Kevin and Susan Hornik, no.

2 Likes

apparently Kevin didn’t seem to know about the whole LA Weekly debacle.

His editor wasn’t fired? It’s hard for a freelancer to miss that.

Nope, nothing that ran after the layoffs, except for Javier’s review, was assigned prior to the Semanal takeover.

The new owners have deleted a bunch of articles, though, because why not go full evil?

3 Likes

Ha, that’s exactly what I asked on Twitter.

Kevin has/had an editor?

1 Like

If so, did Kevin abide by the editor’s suggestions?

1 Like

What ever happened to the OC layoffs that Gustavo Arellano resigned in protest of? I haven’t heard anything else about those layoffs and I’m assuming they never happened since I haven’t heard else about them.

Does anybody else think that the OC Weekly owner wanted Gustavo out, and tricked him into quitting? Were those purported layoffs just a ruse?

I always thought Gustavo was a terrible editor at the OC Weekly and his purported business plan to stave off those layoffs was laughable. But, if the owner fired Gustavo, then Gustavo would have played the race card.

For the new owner of OC Weekly, its less of a mess and scandal if Gustavo leaves as another one of those paper layoff stories vs the OC Weekly firing its editor and then the editor turning around and accusing the owner of being a racist.

I’m glad Katherine replied. To clarify, I was referring to articles in the pipeline for the entire paper (music, arts & culture, film review, etc.), which is, erm, sort of irrelevant since this is a food message board.

My final article isn’t on my authors page, but it still turns up in a Google search. I still truly can’t tell how much is down to full evil and how much is down to simple gross incomptence. There seems no limit to the latter.

2 Likes

Deleting pages can reduce ad revenues, so my guess is incompetence.

2 Likes

They’re truly making the wrong decision at every possible turn.

3 Likes