Newport Seafood Beverly Hills - superbly low key

The beatings start at $20/lb

3 Likes

The $9/lb premium was worth avoiding the madness at the Las Tunas location. Crowds creating a festive environment is way way overrated for me. I don’t know these other diners so - shrug. Unlike flamingos, I like solitude and peace when I eat.

2 Likes

@bulavinaka I get that. I don’t find crowded malls during the holidays fun, though they do their damn stuff to be “festive”.

But I do like to eat around people having a good time, even when (especially when?) solo dining.

Back on topic, I’ve been meaning to go to the BH branch of Newport for ages. But I always feel it would be too lonely.

It does seem like a group kind of place.

Do you think part of it is die-hard, genuine, and upscale? That whole strip of La Cienega is sort of special-occasion dining, and perhaps the idea of blowing a decent amount of $$$ for Chinese is a strange idea to the people who frequent that area.

1 Like

No

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:25, topic:5031”]
Do you think part of it is die-hard, genuine, and upscale?
[/quote]I do. If it were just die-hard and genuine, people would probably be all over it. It’s a generational thing. The upscale part is not a concept familiar in this area anymore. Throw in Seafood and it’s even more of a challenge. When I was younger it was the thing for Angelenos of all ethnicities - in this neighborhood and surrounding areas - to dine at the banquets in Chinatown and buy their cakes at the Phoenix Bakery. It was a habit. When things started moving to SGV it changed.

Tried to order takeout tonight and found this location has closed.

Too bad, I liked the option of making a reservation while paying a bit of a premium

A sad but expected turn of events

Damn that sucks.

In my mind I thought this location would do alright with the huge amount of Chinese tourists.

Newport isn’t really catered to Chinese tourist, also I’d assume most Chinese tourist still make a trek out to SGV.

Sad but can’t say I’m surprised based on everyone’s report on how empty the restaurant was.

Lots of Chinese tourists shopping in BH. No matter where most Chinese tourists prefer Chinese food. Maybe Newport didn’t market themselves well or enough. Every store and hotel in BH has a Mandarin speaker on staff.

Why else would they open in BH? They know there is a lot of rich Chinese tourists spending $$$

1 Like

Not sure where I indicated BH itself didn’t cater to Chinese tourist, I am talking about Newport itself. You ever been to both locations? Neither are really filled with mainland Chinese. Think the owners of Newport had the misconception of assuming just cause it’s a type of Asian cuisine the mainland Chinese will flock there.

I believe they were being guided by the principle affectionately known as the Chinese stomach.

2 Likes

That only holds true for hoi polloi middle class, not for the Chinese tourists who frequent Rodeo and/or stay in Beverly Hills.

They have caviar and champagne stomach.

1 Like

I think part of it is location. Newport Sea Food may have been in Beverly Hills, but not necessarily convenient to tourists. Little Highness Bao across from Neiman Marcus is better situated.

So they’re all going to the Waldorf Astoria and the Century City mall?

Eh, Beverly Hills and Rodeo have plenty of middle class Chinese tourists. They may not lodge or shop there, but they still visit and go sightseeing.

Maybe the owners didn’t sign up enough tour companies?

Sure, but they’re not eating (nor living there).

And, fwiw, Chinese tourists on tour buses are the kind that will not splurge on a meal at a place like New Port. Even New Port in SGV. Trust me, on this.

1 Like