Nightshade

I just checked their site and saw no prices. That’s become a deal breaker for me. It just pisses me off. “Who do you think you are?”

0 Likes

But just because it doesn’t exist (yet) – either by the hand of a no-name line cook or a famous TV celebrity chef – doesn’t mean its necessarily desirable.

I mean, a sashimi milkshake doesn’t exist (yet), but that doesn’t mean I’m actually waiting for someone (famous or not) to create it.

1 Like

Sure. But your statement is not really germane to @paranoidgarliclover’s statement to which I was responding. The point was made that such an uncreative dish could be had elsewhere at a better price with comparable execution. I don’t think it can be.

Anyways, if I’m going to die on a hill, it isn’t going to be popcorn chicken X pork schnitzel (even though, like, I wouldn’t mind eating it).

Right now, I’m just trying to get my love to agree to do Hayato with me if I can get reservations. I mean I love me some Republique but I need a break from the Mediterranean region. See! I got real problems here!!!

3 Likes

Since they don’t have prices on their menu - at least not the online one - how would one know what a “better price” is?

0 Likes

Look at photos of the menu on Yelp.

4 Likes

There are a number of sources for recent menu prices and there are myriad reasons for not posting menu prices on the web. These places aren’t doing much take out business.

0 Likes

What are those reasons? (Genuine question!)

0 Likes

1. because you have to pay someone by the hour to update them
0 Likes

Some of the best and most expensive places on the planet have their prices listed. Except for “market price” items I consider it, as I said, a deal breaker. They won’t miss my business.

0 Likes

Now that is hilarious.

0 Likes

Price of some ingredient goes up so much you have to raise the price on a dish, you can’t update the web menu immediately, some dickhead customer gets angry that the price is higher than it said online.

1 Like

“Menu prices subject to change without notice.”

“Prices listed online for reference only. Please see our restaurant for the most up-to-date pricing.”

“Prices and ingredients may vary slightly depending on seasonal availability. Please call or visit us for the most up-to-date information”

“Market Price”

…honestly, these things aren’t difficult. This is 2019, and all it takes to update your website is <5 minutes and a computer or smartphone.

0 Likes

How many restaurants have you run?

0 Likes

Enough to know the basic capabilities of a modern POS system.

Seriously, do you print menus? Then you have a computer. While you’re waiting for your daily menus to print, upload the file to your website. Takes less than a minute, and provides great customer service. Also helps many guests order more quickly, increasing table turnover.

1 Like

I mean, I think these days it is pretty easy to update this stuff and I do appreciate places like Rustic Canyon that update menus and prices online daily. But I get why a restaurant may not want to put time and capital into that aspect. I mean, most restaurant websites are UX and UI nightmares to begin with.

That said, Yelp is good for very little, but menus and food pics are covered well there.

I find it weird to make a lack of web savvy a deal breaker when anyone can get the information they seek. But okay.

2 Likes

I would say it’s more likely the case that restaurants outsource their website design and have to pay for additional updates

1 Like

So I’ll take that as a “none.”

0 Likes

Okay, Robert. You can take it however you want; I really don’t have anything to prove to you. Have a nice evening!

0 Likes

That’ quite true. Getting a head start is good.

0 Likes

Next line item on receipt:

5% Daily Menu Updating Charge

4 Likes