Nightshade

What I learned from this thread - people won’t go to a restaurant if there are no published prices, but are totally okay with being bait/switched into paying a different amount than what was posted online as long as there is a disclaimer.

1 Like

That “disclaimer” lets you know that the price might change…but unlikely that it would double. As I said, if there’s a thought that a particular ingredient might great increase then either pad it somewhat or do the "disclaimer’ thing. I think it’s beyond odd that this is an issue with some people.

You’re the one who has an issue. I don’t judge a restaurant by its web site.

Well, I think it’s reasonable and fairly common sense that prices are only reflective as of the upload date. That’s why yelp, while often useful, is frustrating to use for this purpose because there is no sorting / filtering for recency. The 5-year-old menu picture isn’t something I find particularly useful.

That said, knowing the general price range of a restaurant is very useful information, as is the relative price variation between dishes. Even if a restaurant’s website is a year out of date, I can still reasonably ascertain that a menu will likely be within 5-10% of current pricing.

For fuck’s sake, we’re talking about restaurant food menus here; the vast majority of places don’t price their dishes by the second like the international commodities market :roll_eyes:

1 Like

What you said! And quite well. Thanks.

@robert it’s not I that continues to whip this horse. There seems to be a lot of sensitivity on this issue. It’s likely that the people who have replied here already of a general idea of the prices. Most of you live in the area and likely read reviews when available.

this horse is so dead they just shutdown santa anita again.

9 Likes

Wow, you have a lot of time on your hands. At least I don’t contradict myself. I’m happy to admit that this is a bugaboo for me. I don’t buy things without knowing the price in advance. A car, a pair of shoes, a dinner out. Probably has something to do with our being in more than decent shape financially.

McDonald’s doesn’t post prices either. So pretentious.

8 Likes

McDonald’s actually doesn’t have consistent pricing across their various locations (per their own website), so that it is actually a rather different situation…

At any rate, since it seems like everyone has gotten to express their opinions about menus, can we back to arguing about fusion cuisine and the value judgments we place on “ethnic” food a la Nightshade? :slight_smile:

1 Like

No, we need to drive up user engagement.

2 Likes

I’m going to eat my grab-n-go avocado sushi roll with some chili crisp, as I get back to the Mueller report while watching Fox News. Is that fusion enough? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If you watch Fox News that’s TOO fusion’y :smile:

1 Like

There are something that should never be combined… w/ ANYTHING.

2 Likes

Guys . . . @nemroz is on vacation in Portugal and @thechez5 is taking some kind of break :frowning:

We’re down two of the most convivial and frequent posters. We’re on quiet mode for right now. Everything will return to normal soon.

5 Likes

https://tenor.com/view/despicable-me-agnes-pinky-promise-gru-promise-gif-4779717

2 Likes

I dunno I’ve run over 10 concepts in my career. Websites these days are easy as hell just do a Squarespace, have the page where your menu is bookmarked, update it call it a day.

If you’re operating a restaurant at Nightshade’s level with higher end prices you can probably justify having a hostess do that shit while she’s handling reservation confirmations.

Considering the money some restaurants spend on the fancy paper they print their menus on I think they can afford to spend some time updating their website if they choose to post it online.

7 Likes

Exactly. And how often is a restaurant actually updating their menu item pricing?

???
Who Dat?

covfefe

2 Likes

Or if you use BentoBox (which is basically a squarespace made just for restaurants), you update your online menus and print them from one single place.

3 Likes