Nobody cooks in LA

Looks great! Does the cream cheese take the place of the avocado or did you miss mentioning it.

I love your eye! I forgot the avocado. Iā€™ll update my post. Nice looking looking out.

2 Likes

Your rice dish sounds delicious, @catholiver!

Ooh, I love your interpretation of Asian avocado toast, @TheCookie! The gochujangā€™s a nice touch. Youā€™ve inspired me to try it with sambal.

2 Likes

Even had some leftover pork belly to gild the lily!

5 Likes

Wolfgang Puck (whoā€™s opening a restaurant in Manhattan) disagrees that nobody cooks in LA!

Puck made his name in Los Angeles, which he calls the hardest market: because people like to cook at home.

Then he goes on to say that

In New York, if you have a nice two-bedroom apartment, youā€™re not going to cook that oftenā€¦You donā€™t have the space, and you still make good money.

which is just complete bullshit.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œsmall_h, post:25, topic:2321ā€]
which is just complete bullshit.
[/quote]Which part?

I can only say with confidence that the second part is bullshit, since Iā€™ve never lived in LA. Iā€™ve made breakfast there a few times, but that probably doesnā€™t give me much authority.

Oh okay. You mean the nobody cooks in NY part is bullshit. Interesting tidbit. Because it does have a rep for being a dining mecca. Then again, when Wolfgang Puck started cooking in L.A. it probably was harder to get people out of the kitchen, other than a special occasion. Heā€™s greatly responsible for changing that.

It is a dining mecca, as is LA. But most of Manhattan isnā€™t living the Wall Street/Sex & the City lifestyle (good lord, Iā€™m dating myself). Iā€™m sure there are people - primarily young, single and working 70+ hour weeks - who eat all their meals out. But if all 1.6 million of us did that, weā€™d need even more restaurants than we already have. And anyone who thinks a ā€œnice two-bedroom apartmentā€ is too small to cook in is simply insane. I cooked when I lived in a studio. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m not the only one.

1 Like

Iā€™d think per capita more people eat out in NYC cause you can walk so many places whereas LA is a driving city and can be a mess traffic wise. My two cents :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thats funny @small_h. I did think of Carrie Bradshaw keeping her sweaters in her oven. But seriously, NY kitchens do look small. Even in the nicer apartments. I remember the cool apartment Woody Allen & Diane Keaton had in Manhattan Murder Mystery. They had a big bedroom, impressive entryway, but the kitchen was the size of a pantry. I know, I knowā€¦ Itā€™s a movie. But thatā€™s not the first movie or show where Iā€™ve noticed this. I guess you just adjust to what you have.

Yes, and the flip side is Friends & Seinfeld - Monica and Jerry had very spacious kitchens by Manhattan standards. This is mine. Itā€™s not huge - you have to choose between an open dishwasher or a clear path across the floor, 'cause you canā€™t have both. And sharing it with another person takes awareness and negotiation. But for the most part, itā€™s big enough for me to do what I need to do.

I think thatā€™s definitely true. Manhattan is very dense and rewards spontaneity. If you drop into a restaurant and canā€™t get a table, thereā€™s likely another one just a few steps away where you can. LA takes more planning. I would be very unlikely to show up at a restaurant in LA without a reservation and risk getting turned away and facing a 45 minute drive to another place, where I also might not get seated.

1 Like

Some of my walls are orange also!

And, yes, re spontaneity. We used to live in SF. Depending on the nabe, same thing. Walk a block.

Itā€™s actually ā€œtangelo.ā€ (In my next life, I want to think up names for paint. Or nail polish.)

2 Likes

The darker isnā€™t quite that bright and the kitchen is the lighter color.

1 Like

Yepā€¦ Thereā€™s that narrow kitchen. It probably makes you neater and more organized in when cooking.

My mise-en-place brings all the boys to the yard.

4 Likes

First thing I look at is the kitchen. I am a dramatic whirlwind when cooking and would be literally bouncing off walls in a galley kitchen.

In NY, we eat out, never have cooked there, not once. Eating in means take-out or delivery. :phone: :biking_woman:.

1 Like

Hereā€™s the kitchen of the apartment where we stay when weā€™re in Rio. But we cook.

Oops, thought it was a closeup. But the ā€˜kitchenā€™ is that back wall.

1 Like