Noda (sushi) - former Sushi Iwa no. 2

Another new high end sushi bar in Nomad helmed by former Ginza’s Sushi Iwa no. 2 - Shigeyuki Tsunoda. He seems to have consistently good reviews while his boss was away tending to the HK branch.

Likely will be Kanesaka styled progression (think Saito). $285 omakase (tips included).

Hope this will be better than sushi Amane.

NYC turning into city of dreams for aspiring Tokyo No. 2s
Jiro - Nakazawa (technically no. 3)
Saito - Amane
Iwa - Noda
… wonder who’s next?

I am going next month. Also Noz, Amane, and SGO. Will report back on everything.

at SGO, request to sit with Saito.

I saw on Instagram that Saito is leaving (soon?). I believe Toshi-san is still there, and I liked my meal with him at SGO Hawaii…I will see who’s around next month. Thanks for the tip, anyway.

Ahh I see, he was there last night and did briefly mention his future plans…

DId he mention where he was going?

The food at Noda was great - and Tsunoda-san is a super nice guy. Several “wow” pieces and overall very high level. Also indulged in some Karuizawa 12.

I went to Noda, Sushi Noz, Sushi Amane, and Sushi Ginza Onodera. At SGO, I did sit with Saito-san, but I did not ask anything about future plans. All 4 were great, had their own highlights, and I will post about each.

Cool! Looking forward to your reports. esp. Noz and Noda.

will fix formatting - too lazy for now. great meal.

Nice way to finish w the Karuizawa!

It was really, really good. But I was also pretty gone by then. Cocktails at Bathtub Gin, then Noda bar, then a bottle of Shichi Hon Yari, then Karuizawa, then a Manhattan at Bemelman’s Bar…

Karuizawa was really good though. glad I tried it. I did not try The Joker, but perhaps one day (I do quite like Ichiro’s Malt so far).

Anyway - standout ankimo, botanebi, uni-toro handroll, and shiroebi

Do they have a good selection of Japanese whiskeys? Interested to try some of the non-Suntory/Nikka labels.

Had my first Ichiro last month. Thought it was distintinctively Japanese - light woodsy aromas pine, hint of sandal wood.

They had Ichiro’s Malt and Karuizawa. I just had Ichiro’s the night before and decided against the Joker because 1 oz could pay for my whole meal and then some…! What other labels were you looking for? I didn’t pay that much attention, sorry!

Mainly Ichiro and Karuizawa - also that’s all I know besides Suntory, Nikka and Iwai :laughing: Yeah some of these Japanese whiskies are crazy $$$$

Pretty sure they had Ichiro’s The Floor Malted and Malt & Grain, both of which I really like but can get here in SF at my go-to bars. I had the Ichiro’s The Single Cask at Noz.