North inland county

And God forbid anybody with the temerity to criticize it. LOL

You are eating cheeseburgers?!?

Pho ca dao in Rancho Bernardo has changed somewhat post remodel. The food is still good but portions have gotten smaller while prices have increased and the service is now awful. The options in this area are slim so it may continue to do decent business but probably going to try other locations before going back.

Thanks for the recommendation to Taco Bar. Needed a place to eat after the safari park back to the OC. The tortillas and meats were all good. We donā€™t like our street tacos with guacamole - just meat, onions, cilantro and salsa. The salsa bar had some nice onions and jalapenos. The salsa themselves were ok but not a lot of punch even the habanero salsa.

The best items were the bean soup and the fish taco. Easy stop off the 78 and pretty good QPR.

Glad you got to try it. Their salsas are pretty terrible unfortunately and they are a bit inconsistent but we go often, usually combine with L&L across the parking lot. @js76wisco

Yes. I was also expecting great salsa since the salsa bar is the first thing you see when you walk in. So much promise. The spicy marinated red onions, whole roasted jalapeno and carrot pickles are great. The salsa are so bland but a nice spot Iā€™d still go back to.

Thanks for the post, this is an under-represented part of the county. The last time I was up there looking for a recommendation, we were disappointed. I have heard about Vincentā€™s in Escondido for years. Their Restaurant Week menu looks promising. Any opinions to share? Is it worth the drive from North Park?

I havenā€™t been to Vincentā€™s so canā€™t comment.

In general not much up this way is worth driving from North Park. You can get better or similar food closer to you. The only place Iā€™d recommend driving to is Lapperts in Scripps Ranch which I really like and I donā€™t know of other locations.

If I remember any standouts worth driving for Iā€™ll update the post.

Thanks I always forget there is a Lapperts in north county. We always go to the one in Palm Springs right off the 10.

Update 2019

Pho Cao Dao in RB has been very good the last few visits.

In the same RB shopping center as PCD is a new all you can eat Korean bbq restaurant called Olleh, Iā€™ve been once and it was very good with the caveat that I donā€™t eat much at Korean bbq places so Iā€™m not much of a judge.

The Atlas food court in Poway has improved. A Korean fried chicken place called Furaido opened and was really good. A Korean sundubu place is opening soon across from yet another Korean place. There is also a Persian bakery, Persian kabob and stew place and a Persian pizza joint. Good eats in Powayā€”very unusual.

In addition, close by in Mira Mesa, taste of Hunan recently opened with the former chef from Village Kitchen. Per Kirk K at mmm yoso it is good so far. That means authentic decent Chinese food can now be had at T of H, spicy house (China fun in RB) and spicy hut in Mira Mesa. And that doesnā€™t include Tasty Pot also in MM.

Still more options on Convoy and beyond but nice to have better closer options.