Northern Cafe (SGV) - Oodles of Noodles: Picks and pics

I hopped over to the Cerritos location on Friday night. We had a friend in town from Philadelphia and Germany, so we thought house made noodles and dumplings would be fun. I was a big fan of the hand-sliced noodles with braised lamb. Our friend enjoyed the noodles, juicy pork dumplings, pan-fried dumplings, and fish in chili oil. He was especially amused with the show from the kitchen window. We ordered way too much food for 4 people and came away with a big bag of leftovers and only $25 each in damage (including tax & a 20% tip). It was fun to expose our friend to something new.

3 Likes

Seems like there are two sets of Northern Cafes, at least judging by the chinese characters.
The Temple City one is the same as the branches at USC and on the Westside. Monterey Park and Cerritos are another set.

Food looks totally different than the Northern Cafes on Westside. Need to try the MP version.

Did you get a chance to try the hand pulled noodles at Northern Cafe in Monterey Park? If so, how were they?

Omg - fantastic noodles, big plate chicken, dumplings.
@J_L has a couple of posts about the place I believe.

1 Like

That’s where it’s at! The grilled beef tendon and beef roll are also great stuff.

Pictures from my latest visit at the MP location.

DaPangJi (Big Plate Chicken) - Superb. I posit that this is the best plate of pasta in L.A. right now.

(Pro-tip: Order extra noodles, beef tendon, and greens for best second round effect…)

5 Likes

I think I have overlook this place because I thought it was some mediocre chain…

I just HAD to come back for more… As if this dish cannot possibly get any better, it did.

There is more ‘Q’ in these noodles than a Star Trek: The Next Generation DVD boxed set…

4 Likes

Wait which northern cafe has the big plate chicken? Is it the temple city location or the Monterey park location?

I want to bookmark it for a visit but this thread is kind of confusing.

The MP location does but I’m not sure about the Temple City location.

1 Like

Monterey Park location (on Garfield)

2 Likes

Thanks @moonboy403 and @J_L

1 Like

Rowland location is now open, not sure if the menu is the same.

I shouldn’t be surprised when this dish hit the table mainly because in the name is “Big” but good Lord!

They don’t skimp on the chicken, no dry pieces here. Also in this orgy is wood ear mushrooms, potatoes, bell peppers, and onions. There is a little spice and a little cumin thrown in as well. The noodles are properly thick with a good chew. They open late not Garden Café late but midnight. They take cards and water is self served. Parking try the ABC Cafe lot.

5 Likes

The chicken is quite moist too.

As far as “Big Plate Chicken” goes, this is considered to be quite small, it’s typically a ginormous dish that can feed many people elsewhere.

I am glad to try it but personally not a fan of cumin spice/scent and this dish is very much oily, like stereotypically mainlander oily

1 Like

Wow. I need that in my life.

It’s only $15, a normal person can probably squeeze out 2 meals from this

That’s a blast from the past. Is Corya BBQ still in that same plaza?