November 2018 Weekend Rundown

Cold appetizers, thousand layer cake (bing), sesame scallion bread, minced pork on rice, slack season noodles, Joy fresh fruit tea… All from Joy (Highland Park)

9 Likes

Mariela’s Taco Truck next to LAX… handmade tortillas… al pastor tacos and camarones… one of my fav trucks in LA.

Menya Musashi Ramen Sawtelle… my fav ramen in LA right now… they’re doing 15% off bill through November.

Falafel Pita at Ta-eem Melrose… insanely good today for lunch. Asked for the falafel extra crispy. Too good.

8 Likes

Tacos Arabes Boyle Heighs

Arabes originales and cecina tacos

3 Likes

How amazing is that chipotle sauce/salsa. Feel like anything could be good with that.

insanely good. Want more now.

Wonderful Cheeseburger! Nice and juicy…and under $10

7 Likes

I had one the other week and it was great. I had a couple bites that felt a little too sweet, but once I got to the middle it was excellent!

1 Like

Pretty decent sausage kimbap from Kimbap Paradise in Torrance.

Tebasaki chicken dinner box (included rice and miso soup not pictured) at Furaibo in Gardena. When I first moved to the South Bay almost 20 years ago, Furaibo was my intro to the great Japanese food that we have here and it, along with Curry House, is still my favorite and a place that I eat at weekly.

I’ve been buggging everyone I know with my constant gushing over Nagomi Cake House in Gardena ever since I had a cake from there for my birthday. I think I’m going to end up on one of those “My 600lb Life” type shows on TLC thanks to this place. This evening I tried the passionfruit mousse cheesecake and it was fantastic. Tasted like actual passionfruit, nothing artificial. The chocolate whipped cream cake and the baked cheesecake were great, too. The strawberry shortcake was already my favorite so I had to get a slice of that as well. Just perfect fluffy cakes that have real whipped cream frosting and are not overly sweet.

14 Likes

La Española Meats (Harbor City) still makes one of the best paellas in Southern California…

8 Likes

FATHER’S OFFICE
I forgot how much better the Santa Monica location is. Really great atmosphere. The frites + aioli are exactly what you’d want from frites + aioli. The Russian River Perdition was worth having two. Burger always solid.

P.S. Avert your eyes @catholiver! Not only is this a 21+ only establishment, they also have a “sand-o” on the menu :rofl:

Later that night…

ROBERTA’S
Could have walked right in and sat at the bar without wait (kinda wild for Saturday prime time), but picked up the Cheesus Christ to go. Lovely. Great pepper to give it a bit of heat. And great char + chew on da crust.

13 Likes

What temperature was this served at and what time did you get there?

About 2PM - I asked them to heat it up for me a bit, so it was warm. Paella is meant to be served bit piping hot, and at ambient temps as well. Lots of casual eateries in Spain just make a big ol’ paella daily, and for the rest of the day, scoops are taken for ‘to go’ orders at room temp.

1 Like

When I posted that I’d assumed that people would mention successful places that are 21+ .

Re sando, it’s stupid. It’s a two syllable word as is the word it replaces. A chef/owner I know used it and I corrected him :slight_smile:

Loco Moco with housemade Portuguese sausage from TNT Aloha Cafe in Torrance. One of my favorite breakfasts.

Another great meal at Pasta Sisters in Culver City. Arrabbiata (extra spicy) and bolognese, both with tagliatelle and topped with burrata.

16 Likes

Hi @thechez5,

Nice! :slight_smile: What else do you like at TNT?

Glad to hear Pasta Sisters is still making great dishes (consistency). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Excellent burrata hack!

1 Like

The Portuguese sausage fried rice is my other favorite. I used to like it at Gardena Bowl which used to have the same owner as TNT. I also like their spam musubi because they put ume in it.

They added it to the main menu now so it’s not a “secret” add-on item anymore. So good with the spicy arrabbiata! :yum:

3 Likes

Tsujita Annex Saturday Nite…

8 Likes

Aburiya Raku Saturday night, consistently one of the best restaurants in LA

Sashimi Combo, still exquisite even w Matt’s departure.

love love love their miso soup, better than I had in Tokyo.

Asparagus w/ Bacon

Salmon Belly

Karage…Best in LA IMO

Mariela’s Taco Truck last night…2 shrimp tacos and 1 Chicharron…fresh handmade tortillas FTW

10 Likes

We were at Aburiya Raku last Saturday. This place never fails to impress. Did they still have the Iberico pork on the Specials board?

1 Like