November 2018 Weekend Rundown

They make very decent cocktails! I think that review wasn’t fair to the place that’s why I responded. And especially so because he used EDM to describe the music. On my visits I saw live salsa bands, brass band playing really swinging stuff and deep house djs. They may not be able to distinguish a broken beat record as such and throw it into the ugly EDM term instead of “dance music i dont like”

deep house like mine … not EDM ever never

hell yes i seasoned one of my records for the photo

1 Like

you’ve been to that one right? no i’m not going to tell you which one… no you shouldn’t google it! lol … go to all the funky bars. bring a flask

1 Like

Alright alright alright alright!
You’ve convinced me to give the place a shot.
*Love the spicy wax, by the way.

and no disrespect meant to OP at all.

@Nemroz, next time you’re in San Diego check out Raised By Wolves.

4 Likes

You know, I can agree with this if you got your friends taking you places. Being genuinely surprised with a speakeasy would be awesome. Given that I don’t have cool enough friends, I must resort to Yelp to tell me where all the cool places are, how to find them, “secret” passwords, dress codes, and cost of cocktails.

1 Like

Now, that sounds kinda’ cool.

Apotheke has never played EDM when I’ve been there. If it’s dance music, it’s normally solid deep house music. Heck, they recently partnered with Majordomo and helped host a two-day music festival with a promoter in the lot next door that was all house and techno, with no EDM to be heard.

I completely understand not wanting to hear dance music of any sort at a cocktail joint. However, that would make Apotheke a bad choice. It’s going after a lounge-type vibe and crowd that is used to hearing it and enjoys it, and one that wouldn’t conflate EDM with decent dance music.

Not exactly sure what you’re trying to define as EDM here.

European Drama Music?
English Drumming Music?
Estonian Drilling Music?
Eurobeat Dance Mix?
Egyptian Dance Music?

2 Likes

That’s the one.

2 Likes

Come with me!

@Ns1 asked for it.

actual Estonian Drilling Music

5 Likes

This latest turn of the thread has been nothing less than a goddamned enlightenment for me. My eternal gratitude to all.

2 Likes

^^ This. Love that place.

4 Likes

reminds me of this scene from a famous Estonian film

any cineasts out here? (I did not post this clip or the music video for the song because they can contain offensive images).

1 Like

is that a screenshot from the vespertine trailer?

6 Likes

cinephile checking in

:rofl: no, but it could be!

Veiko Õunpuu’s Püha Tõnu Kiusamine (“The Temptation of St. Tony”). The dog scene with Apoptose’s “Calanda” playing.

1 Like

Hi @Nemroz,

I know perfectly well the difference between EDM, Dub Step, Trip House, Chill / Down-Tempo, full Brass Bands and more. Were you there at Apotheke on the same night I was? Do you know their DJs, and playlists for every night of the week for the last year?

No? Then please don’t insinuate what I said was false.

Regarding “spoiling” a spot. Huh?

You mean when Apotheke’s own website shows it off in full glory and high res pics?

https://www.apothekela.com/

Or how Eater LA (and other publications) have shown off pics of this place?

You realize my one tiny post buried in a random “November 2018” thread is nowhere near as much of a “spoiler” as the above links and various other news outlets?

But to each their own.

And we weren’t ever told this was some kind of “hush hush speakeasy.” It’s pretty well lit and has its own building and doorman standing outside and a big outside deck / outside area to drink, you can see over to the art gallery across the way and they can see you back if you’re inside Apotheke.

Not really a super stealthy / hidden place.

5 Likes

I’ve alway’s wondered what @Nemroz looks like.

1 Like