NYC trip 2016. anything else to add to this list?

Luke’s Lobster

[placeholder for roll pictures]

Juliana’s

Pastrami Queen

53rd/6th Halal

Kuro-Obi

Shake Shack - Terminal 4 - missing pick of the Chicken Shack which was fucking AMAZING. Leagues better than Chickfila.

7 Likes

Looks like a nice lineup.

Thanks for sharing!

Saccos

Chinatown Durian Vendor - no I did not partake.

4 Likes

Great pics.

How did you like Torishin? That was probably the main one I wish I’d been able to go to. And those pics made me wish I had made it up to Pastrami Queen.

I would either go to select counter or sit at the bar and eat. The truly mindblowing stuff was the medium rare chicken breast. The rest was for the most part good but did not reach nearly the same heights. The pork belly was actually a crime - I had to spit my piece out it was so damn chewy. They have “special” skewers that you are not allowed to order unless you order the omakase (which is different than the select omakase). We were also packed like sardines in the mezzanine dining room.

I mean from a QPR perspective, the meal was only marginally less than Marea, and Marea was substantially better in all aspects. I am led to believe the michelin *'d select counter @Torishin is a vastly different experience than eating in the dining room.

Btw, Pastrami Queen was one of my top 5 on that visit.

1 Like

Interesting. Good to know.

And I believe you re: Pastrami Queen. I stared at those pics as if my computer froze.

1 Like

Now you’re going to be one of those a holes always talking about how good the food in NYC is… :wink:

1 Like

My opinion of NYC has increased significantly after this trip - I just need my bank account to catch up.

so…best Sicilian slice in LA?

:smiley:

3 Likes

Tomato Pie

But if you have to have a slice, then Village Pizzeria

Yeah TP is my benchmark for NY style pizza in LA. I gotta go back for some of their Sicilian.

If you’re a sucker for Sicilian style pies, try Artichoke some time.

@Ns1 nice recap!

Ansel is cranking much fancier stuff than I imagined.

NYC definitely excels in European continent fare and high end Japanese gems. I think it’s a great dining city. IMO if money is not an object - NYC > LA > SF

1 Like

You really don’t have to though. At least here.

Nice pictures @Ns1 That octopus looks tasty AF.

What was the best bite of the trip?

1 Like

my top bites, in no particular order. there is no way I could decide a best bite from this list.

Spicy Spring @ Prince St Pizza
Pastrami @ Pastrami Queen
ChickenShack @ Shake Shack
Sicilian pistachio panna cotta @ Marea
Bottarga & Crab pasta @ Marea
medium rare chicken breast @ Torishin
DKA @ Dominique Ansel
golden eye snappper / horse mackeral / spanish mackerel / yellowtail @ Nakazawa

2 Likes

Concise question @A5KOBE. I was about to pepper Ns1 w/a lot of questions.

That bagel, Dominique Ansel, the yakitori, Kuro-Obi - even the stomach upsetting halal - all looked really yummy. Marea! Is so on my wish list.

One question:

What did you decide to bring back as gifts?

a sour NY attitude.

no seriously, I’m a bad person and came back with nothing. My last hope - Chelsea Market - didn’t really yield anything promising.

Lolol… Well, I’m sure they know you love them :smirk:

@Ns1 just an incredible series of reports. The undercarriage shots of the pizza were especially welcome.

1 Like