NYC trip, COMMENTS, QUESTIONS, ETC

BKLYN OG Hipster central! Go for the experience.

+1 Totonno’s, still haven’t made it out myself.
Paulie Gee’s has been getting a lot of buzz, classic slice shop

Yes, also Paulie Gee’s. Forgot about that.

Isn’t Paulie Gee’s a forever fave???

The new slice shop is his take on NYC classic slice pizza, as opposed to the main restaurant’s neapolitan style pizza.

1 Like

Is that the one in Greenpoint? We did a house exchange there a couple of years ago and really liked it.

Looks great but we are probably only going to Lugers and Other Half. We will go a little out of the way for some other stops that are close-ish but Coney Island is too far. Was considering going out there for July 4th but that is not our speed. At this point I’m hoping we can get a Lilia reservation but will probably end up at Roberta’s, Paulie Gee or somewhere else closer to Manhattan.

An additional option in Manhattan - LES specifically. 1 man show kitchen manned only by Sergio.

http://www.unapizza.com/3644141-menu

Ah I went once a while back! Was good but ultimately I wasn’t a fan of how soupy/weak it is in the middle. I understand that’s the style though.

I’m in the same boat as you, not fond of the Neapolitan wet center. Although I thought Una’s was much better than the one I had a Sorbillo; very wet and soggy center.

I went here once before he moved to SF then came back to NYC. It was the first time I had a true Neapolitan soupy center uncut pizza. It was great. But alas we are in NYC for 6 days and we are in search of NY style pizza - Joes, Scarrs, Prince St, Di Fara, Patstys, etc…

Perhaps try some Staten Island style pizza at Denino’s or Joe & Pat’s. Specifically the plain w vodka sauce or clam pizza. Both places have opened an outpost in the East Village.

Thanks these both look very good. Which place has better pasta and plates like chicken parm? My wife demands an old school red sauce type of dinner which is few and far between in LA. I don’t know that many places in Manhattan like that but was looking at Forlini’s, Johns of 12th St and Emilio’s Ballato or Bamonte’s in Brooklyn. We don’t want to go anywhere fancy she just wants a good old school red sauce maybe with some meatballs. Deninos and Joe & Pats seem like they would fit the bill and remind me more of places I’d eat at in Queens growing up.

Forlini’s over John’s. I’ve been to both fairly recently and John’s was pretty lousy. Except for the atmosphere, but Forlini’s got that, too.

Thanks.

Paulie Gee slice shop. Very good although honestly slices across NYC in general are very good. Doubt I’d go out of my way again for it but definitely one I’d keep in mind to revisit if I’m in the vicinity

Btw is lo-mo mutz a NYC thing?

1 Like

Will be too late for my trip in 3 weeks but a bang x3 on the same block would be helpful.