October 2016 Weekend Rundown

Made the same comment as we were eating it!

1 Like

Bang-bang at the nomad truck @ the line hotel and andare/cento pasta bar @ birch.

#Nomad truck @ the line hotel

the nomad - chicken burger with foie gras, truffle mayo, frisee, pickled shallots :chicken:

fried fish sandwich, piquillo aioli, cabbage slaw, toasted potato bun :fish:

milk and honey soft serve

#andare/cento pasta bar @ birch.
avocado crostino, truffle, creme fraiche

ricotta gnocchi, 'ndjua, fennel, grana padano :pig:

8 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

So how was the food at Nomad Truck? Worth it?

And was Chef Avner there at Birch today? (I’m curious if he’s gone back to Cento or is staying at Birch?)

Both my sandwiches were solid. the fish sandwich reminded me of a suped up filet-o-fish. a slice of yellow processed american cheese would have put it over the top. i didn’t get much foie in the chicken sandwich but the truffle was definitely present, it did remind of the foie gras and truffle chicken i had at nomad in nyc. The chicken could have been slightly larger for the size of the bun though. The milk and honey soft serve was awesome, i’m not sure what was in it, it tasted like pieces of crispy meringue and crunchy clusters.

i did not see chef avner today, but he was there last week.

2 Likes

Thanks @PorkyBelly.

So was the taste of the pasta at the Birch pop-up OK?

Lunch at Destroyer.

chicken confit, romaine, burnt onion, hazelnuts, yoghurt, $16

beef tartare, smoked egg cream, pickled mushroom, radish, $14

macchiato, $3.5

I love the way the food is presented. It’s like a Fabergé egg, with a beautiful surprise inside.

The beef tartare is one of the best things I’ve tasted this year.

Destroyer
Hayden Tract, Culver City

5 Likes

Your photos of the beef tartare with its canopy of finely sliced radishes, nasturtiums, and dill are just gorgeous.

2 Likes

#Raku

Roe v. @PorkyBelly. Spoiler alert porkybelly wins Poached Egg with Sea Urchin & Salmon Roe

The money shot amiright @bulavinaka? #NSFW

aji sashimi

heads or tails @TheCookie?

grilled salmon belly. fatty, salty, crispy, juicy, awesomness

duck with balsamic soy sauce

bacon wrapped tomatoes #salad

bacon wrapped enoki mushrooms

direct-flamed eggplant with bonito

chicken teba wing

chicken thigh

portabella stuffed with ground chicken

pork cheeks

matsutake dobin mushi with scallops, shrimp, conger eel, gingko nuts

12 Likes

Thank you. Do you think the chef went to art school first? Everything is so beautiful there, even the serving bowls.

(Now if they would only replace the plastic silverware, or at least provide chopsticks as an option. I keep forgetting to bring my own.)

1 Like

why oh why aren’t they doing this tomorrow???!!! I live walking distance, but I’m not home for lunch M-F. :unamused: How was the chicken sandwich?
edit—just saw your reply in a later post. thx!

You’re in luck they’ll be outside trois mec Sunday 7-9pm

My fagiolini I got previously was excellent, today’s gnocchi was good but not as good as the fagiolini.

only lucky if my car wasn’t in the shop waiting for a part to be installed tomorrow (I thought this would be a one day deal–not) and fkn up my previous plans for Saturday which will in turn also rearrange my plans for Sunday. grumble. oh well……there are always other food opportunities in our city.

Boy… I’ve been out of touch. Look what y’all have been up to. There’s that awesome looking avocado toast again. Good to see they brought it along to their new home at Birch. I still have a chance to try it. I can’t keep up with you folks.

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:173, topic:4358”]
(I’m curious if he’s gone back to Cento or is staying at Birch?)
[/quote]I’m confused.

Hi @TheCookie,

Well Santos and Chef Avner founded Cento Pasta Bar (downtown LA), and then they announced a new Cento pop-up at Birch (doing pasta as well).

But they’re keeping Cento in Downtown LA still open.

So I’m curious who they hired / how they’re keeping up with quality at both places nowadays. Because before, it was always just a 2 man operation (literally - no busboys, dishwashers, etc.).

1 Like

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:174, topic:4358”]
crispy meringue and crunchy clusters.
[/quote]:kissing_heart:… Susina Bakery on Beverly Bl (closed) used to make a white cake with those clusters in the frosting. Boy I miss that.

You went! Good.

Yoghurt… of course they couldn’t serve anything as pedestrian as yogurt. What? No Organic Hen Egg today?

Love the description.

I had a couple of those at the City of Gold screening. Can’t remember whether I posted it. But I thought of you :kissing_heart:.

1 Like

You really are unusual. I say that most affectionately.