October 2016 Weekend Rundown

I wouldn’t say their soft serve merits a commute across town since their flavors aren’t always great, @Chowseeker1999. I’m looking at you, cucumber soft serve - blech. However, they’ll allow you to sample them, which I highly recommend. But the black sesame is their strongest contender.

Hi @MaladyNelson,

No worries, Sunny Blue is close for us. :wink: Not a far drive.

But speaking of which, and something @paranoidgarliclover would love, where’s the best Kurogoma ice cream / gelato / soft serve you’ve had?

I would love it if Mr. Bulgarini made his version of pure Black Sesame Gelato at Bulgarini one day. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

#Lodge Bread

roasted tomatillo, burnt maui onions, taleggio, mizuna
this was terrible, one of the worst pizzas i’ve had in a long time. the tomatillo was so tart and sour it tasted like melted sourpatch kids. when i got a bite of the maui onion the sweetness actually balanced out the sour, unfortunately i only got about 6 bites of onion on the whole pie. the one positive is i got a great jaw workout trying to chew through the burnt doughy crust.

the upskirt

#Maple Block Meat Co.
I had to get the taste of that terrible pizza out of my mouth so i had some meat for second dinner.

beef brisket, pork spare ribs
This was okay, half my brisket was way too lean and dry.

4 Likes

Please send kevin our best. He is always thought of and missed!

Like @Chowseeker1999, I’m curious about the galbi jjim at Sun Nong Dan. Thanks

2 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Thanks for taking one for the team! :frowning: Very sad to hear about bad pizza (that’s the worst!).:frowning:

And then your attempts at cleansing that bad taste didn’t pan out either (with Maple Block). Bummer. I did remember one visit to Maple Block (during Lunch) where the Brisket was very lean and slightly dry.

1 Like

Gjusta cuz prime rib

Cauliflower with some spice blend, herbs and pomegranate seeds…excellent. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Prime rib :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Italian sub…tasty but some of the flavors overpowered the meat for me. I loved the spiciness from the chiles though, but somehow I did not get much meat flavor, even though there was a significant amount of it. Bread was crazy good.

5 Likes

Gah! 0 fer 2? We’ve been hit&miss on Lodge pizza too. Back on July 4th weekend, it was pretty good but too much finishing salt. Two weeks later, Lodge’s char squad was out in full gear.

We’ve had orders of MB brisket where it’s either too lean, or clumped with fat. One time, I recall asking for lean and fatty, and I got too lean and big hunks of fat. Now, I always look at the brisket on the chopping board before ordering it.

1 Like

That looks great @A5KOBE. Glad you had their Prime Rib Butcher. :slight_smile: And the Cauliflower Salad looks amazing.

Bagels aren’t really sandwich bread (unless they are soft/crappy Noah’s-type bagels) because, as you’ve experienced, the insides will slide out. it’s best to stack the toppings open-faced and deal with messy finger tips vs messy everything else.

4 Likes

Yes, you’ve hit the nail on the head, @LAgirl! Perhaps I should’ve pulled the sandwich apart. Next time.

2 Likes

i’m not sure what this is but it sounds tasty and i want it.

1 Like

Sorry - J = Japanese

Japanese -style persimmon fritter?

It wasn’t a fritter like kakiage, they were whole slices of persimmon battered and deep fried.

1 Like

Take out from Joe’s Falafel:

Falafel, hummus, baba ganoush, tabouli, green cabbage salad (with a lemony garlic dressing - they also have a red cabbage salad with a sweet/sour dressing), and thick, warm pita. Did not end up with any tahini, again.

Not as great as the falafel wraps but pretty darn good.

4 Likes

I wish they made sauerkraut and horseradish sandwiches. Or an Italian without the meat. I guess I could order an Italian sub, put all the meat in a to-go container, eat the rest of the sandwich, then buy a baguette on the way out to make a sandwich for the boy. But that’d be mean, because then he wouldn’t get any dressing or lettuce. I need to think on this some more.

Were you there today? I tried the Italian sub today for the first time (I think we were there around 1-ish?), and I thought it was phenomenal. So good that I could eat it like everyday, if I could afford the calories. I thought the flavors and textures were really well-balanced.

Edit: meant to add… @wienermobile: have you tried the Italian sub at Gjusta? I’d be interested in your take on it (since I think you’re a fan of the Godmother at Bay Cities). :slight_smile:

1 Like

Dinner at Holy Cow. I like the ambience and people here so much better than Maple Block. The sauces and sides are better, too. The only reason for Maple Block is the brisket or smoked chicken, if that’s what you’re in the mood for, but if you’re ordering lots of different meats and sides. I’ll go with Holy Cow every time. And Holy Cow offers three different excellent sauces on each table. Ha.

Half Rack of Baby Backs

Tri-tip Sandwich

Fried Chicken Sandwich

The Hog (Smoked Pulled Pork Sandwich)

Texas Toast

We also had cole slaw, good, but not amazing or anything; macaroni and cheese, gooey and rich, everyone liked it; greens, very good, nice meaty flavor with a bite and good texture, not swampy like greens can be. The corn bread was really good too, little loaf pan cornbreads. They are nice and dense, without being heavy, and the honey butter is really good, not too sweet, a touch of salt and spreadable, but not overly soft and oily. Also crispy hot French fries with soft centers. Other things too, I forget what all hit the table. Lots of beer on tap and decent wines for a barbecue place.

My friends from London and Berlin were very happy. :pig::cow::chicken:

Holy Cow
4130 Sepulveda Blvd., Culver City

4 Likes

That’s funny!

1 Like

Yep… they have a nice selection of oysters and they shuck them really well. Love those fried big bellies too @A5KOBE.

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:222, topic:4358”]
brisket was way too lean and dry.
[/quote]gotta’ get the fatty.