October 2016 Weekend Rundown

Mam’s Lu’s last weekend (beef noodle soup, spicy wontons, XLB, pumpkin; not pictured: fried fish [a little soggy, but very tasty otherwise]).

Partner’s first attempt a fish (chips were already pre-cut). Not bad, at all. Light but not quite as crispy or highly seasoned as we had hoped.

6 Likes

The beef noodle soup looks good, I like he skinny noodles. For some reason, why soup always comes with wide noodles. ?

1 Like

I see @CiaoBob, you have a problem with asinine discussions. Just not your own.

1 Like

Gari
Unique toppings on your sushi. I was going to ask if it was too much and how you liked it. But see others beat me to it. Glad you enjoyed. It looks great. I see you found your creative rolls too.

Birch / Cento
Love me some chicken liver… no skimping on that one. I’m not a sausage lover. But pasta and savory sauces with shrooms and truffles is the stuff my dreams are of.

Excellent!

2 Likes

I haven’t been feeling too well the past couple of weeks, so I haven’t really had any memorable meals recently, but I had a spring in my step this morning and decided to pick up lunch from Erven’s to-go counter. They have a lovely display with a small assortment of sandwiches and desserts.

I started off with the kimchi-tomato soup, which as expected was on the sour side, but wonderful with nicely grilled toast. Apologies for the unflattering picture. It’s hard to make a sea of red soup look decent…

The black olives and dukkah were barely detectable, but the crisp sweet potato patty had a pronounced miso flavor. And the radish, fennel, and beet slaw was a perfect earthy foil for this carb-tastic sweet potato sandwich.

This black sesame bundt cake with matcha glaze was squidgy and extremely moreish.

9 Likes

That’s a real serving size for :baseball: & :apple:pie folks. @PorkyBelly makin’ Murkuh great again - donny trump hairdo sushi to boot. :laughing:

2 Likes

Hey hey - I give CB credit - he does it with style!

1 Like

Haha, shut up. I was texting and driving. :smiling_imp:

1 Like

@MaladyNelson I had no idea Erven does to-go. The food looks beautiful, and I LOVE the idea of kimchi-tomato soup. Now I must google a recipe, it sounds perfect for all my sniffly friends.

2 Likes

I’m so glad Erven has a to-go counter! It’s the space to the left of the dining room. The kimchi-tomato soup was pretty good - though I thought the sandwich and bundt cake were better. I bet you’d make a killer version of that soup. I’m also fond of the tomato soup at Clementine.

4 Likes

5 Likes

I think your pictures are always beautiful @MaladyNelson. The black sesame bundt picture could be in Martha Stewart Living :grin:.

3 Likes

Just a little friendly ribbing.

Aww, you’re too kind, @TheCookie! :blush:

1 Like

I over heard somebody order the pasta without the sausage and they were happy to accommodate. They also had riccota gnocchi with 'nduja, fennel and grana padano, and a spaghetti with beats, poppy seeds, goat cheese, and chives.

1 Like

Of course!

1 Like

Great… I was thinking “maybe I could order it without.” Just looked up 'nduja - spicy, spreadable, pork salume :kissing_closed_eyes:!

*porky*
1 Like

I actualy don’t mind wide noodles w/ soup (I’m thinking of something like chicken noodle). There’s something wonderfully earthy and comforting about thick, chewy noodles in hot broth. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the mini review of the sandwich! They looked impossibly beautiful when I saw them. Glad to hear they taste good, too. Hope you’re feeling better!

1 Like