October 2016 Weekend Rundown

Quiche Loraine

Buttery, flaky crust and tender, barely cooked eggs. I was pleasantly surprised.

If only they hadn’t kept trying to clear the table while we were still eating. Try to remember you’re pretending to be a French restaurant, let us enjoy our petite dejeuner in a leisurely manner, please.

La Dijonaise
Helms Bakery District
8704 Washington Blvd., Culver City, 90232

5 Likes

:smile:… I love quiche.

Many thanks to @bulavinaka for the tip regarding Taj Tandoori in Palms. Upon the owner’s suggestion, I ordered palak paneer and a plain naan, which came to about $11. While I was waiting, he set up a table with an umbrella for me outside. He was truly welcoming and had a lovely, warm personality.

Unwrapping my goodies at home, I noticed that they had packed everything with care. My palak paneer was in a tightly-sealed container with a couple of layers of Saran Wrap securing everything in. Not a drop of the precious liquid was breached.

The palak paneer was perhaps the spiciest version I’ve come across, but it was so delicious, redolent of ginger and perhaps fenugreek. Normally, I don’t like finely pureed greens in this dish, but the intense flavors won me over. Also it wasn’t cloyingly rich, which is one of my main complaints about palak paneer. I couldn’t stop eating it despite my sniffles, and the naan provided welcome relief as well as my leftover takikomi gohan (Japanese rice with soy sauce, dashi, and mountain vegetables), which was an ideal partnership of Indian/Pakistani/Japanese culinary traditions. Due to the spiciness and generous portions, I was only able to finish half of my meal. I look forward to polishing off my leftovers tomorrow with Kleenex in hand.

For dessert, I had a guava pastelito from Coppelia’s (next door to Taj Tandoori), which was pretty good. The pastry was flaky, and the filling was very, very sweet, but it helped quell the stinging fire in my mouth.

7 Likes

Bang-bang-bang at pasta sisters, gus’s world famous fried chicken, and leo’s. I believe in having three meals a meal.

spaghetti bottarga :fish:

tagliatelle with bolognese :cow:

8 piece dark :chicken: #howlinraysdoesitbetter

tacos al pastor :pig:

10 Likes

The perfect fucking lunch at gjusta. No need to bang after this.

prime rib butcher with extra horseradish. The best damn sandwich on the menu. I said it.

italian hoagie
Thanks to @Chowseeker1999 i had to try this and it was very good.

carrot cake #vegetable

banana caramel tart #fruit

9 Likes

Banana caramel tart for the biggest food tart in the world. That is one delicious slice.

3 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Hi @PorkyBelly,

Fantastic! :slight_smile: Wait, I missed the Banana Caramel Tart at Gjusta! :frowning: How was it?

Glad you liked the Italian. :slight_smile:

I had to do some grocery shopping in Torrance, so I picked up a shrimp okonomiyaki from Doya Doya. This time it was topped with an adequate amount of katsuobushi (dried fermented tuna) and aonori (seaweed flakes). The smokey flavors really made the dish sing.

4 Likes

You went to Torrance. So… did you get to try the Mochi at Sakura-Ya and Chikara? :wink:

1 Like

Sadly not, I had a car full of Japanese groceries for my parents. I’ll have to go to both of them on a Satuday since Chikara is closed on Sundays. Funny thing though, I used to take knitting lessons from kindly elderly Japanese ladies at a store called Let’s Knit Yarn Shop, which was on the same block. Why I didn’t try both wagashi stores back then I’ll never know…

It was pretty good, I didn’t get much caramel flavor though. I preferred the carrot cake.

2 Likes

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Next time! Don’t forget. :wink:

1 Like

That is wild looking. What’s the coating with the swirl patterns on top?

1 Like

It’s Japanese mayo and okonomiyaki sauce (think a thicker version of Worcestershire sauce).

1 Like

Actually, I think I have had this before. Probably at my aunt’s house. This board keeps triggering all kinds of food memories :yum:.

1 Like

Chaumont (Beverly Hills)
The best damn croissant I’ve ever eaten. I’m pretty sure I’ve stopped eating all other croissants because I’ve been ruined. Ate one on the spot, and got half a dozen to go. My kids are fans, too.

Pasta Sisters (Los Angeles)
How is it possible that they can make the pasta fresh and make all the sauces from scratch and price all that deliciousness at such a reasonable point? I wished we lived closer.
Tagliatelle with bolognese

Pappardelle with porcini cream sauce

Early Bird (Fullerton)
The HW omelette…a ton of goat cheese, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Salad and broiled tomato to be low carb. The egg was a bit over, but it’s a pretty solid breakfast.

Homecooked Dinner (we’re hosting family so I had to cook)
Shrimp scampi and garlic bread…there was salad, too, but let’s be real…whoever wants to see the side salad?

Porto’s (Downey)
Catered a party at our house. Medianoche platter, potato balls, fruit tart, and the strawberry shortcake cake…and that was only some of the food. I set up a nacho and a baked potato bar. There was smoked chicken and London broil we made and a few other things…leftovers for days…yay to no cooking for the rest of the week!

8 Likes

Wowie… great!

CivLaVia and a bike ride to Guisados. Plus the new Sweetfin Woodland Hills.

7 Likes

did you end up getting a scoop of anything?