October 2018 Weekend Rundown

Dirt Dog (University Park), serving up the Elote Dog: Corn, lime mayo, cotija, chili, cilantro, bacon bits, all served with a refreshing watermelon agua fresca. Crazy combination.

(Not pictured: Deep fried Twinkie for dessert, capping off another week of healthy eating…)

2 Likes

HiroNori Ramen in Long Beach.

If you’re like me and still aren’t sick of tonkotsu broth, then I think you’ll love the one here. So rich and creamy… buttery even. Plus the very tender chashu and thick noodles were great.

Long Beach Creamery.

Burnt Caramel and Vanilla Whiskey with candied bacon topping. The Vanilla Whiskey was good, but the Burnt Caramel was fantastic. Had to take a pint home.

12 Likes

Long Beach Creamery should really get more recognition. They opened up a second location so that speaks for itself. Really great flavors they are doing there.

I attributed the lack of attention due to not being located in Venice, Arts District, or the Hipster Eastside.

4 Likes

Very much agree. High quality ice cream base, super thoughtful flavor combinations, and collaborations with other local businesses all make Long Beach Creamery my favorite ice cream shop.

My problem is I don’t live nearby so Wanderlust is my consolation prize . . . poor me.

3 Likes

I am sick of tonkotsu, but that just means I don’t have ramen as often as I used to.
I like the look of that bowl. I don’t see a 1 cm layer of liquid fat with brunoised fatback floating on top.
The very light cream color means (to me) that they properly clean their bones before simmering.
I’m sold.

3 Likes

Taps has a great happy hour. Kids love the wings and bread. Parents love the pint specials and fish tacos.

2 Likes

4 Likes

For a casual brunch, make it taco time @ Chicharron place.

7 Likes

Finally made it to Roberta’s new permanent location in Culver City for “my” Bee Sting. :smile: Just so damn good. I added extra chili oil to it this time to make it spicier.
My SO had the Lil’ Stinker (tomato, mozzarella, parmigiano, pecorino, pepperoncinis, red onion, double garlic) which he loved as well. We also had the Dry Aged Beef Carpaccio (vincotto, parmigiano reggiano, grilled lemon) and that was really good, too.

Forgot to add…

Rose Black Tea and Champurrado from the Boba Guys for dessert. I was hoping this location would have egg pudding, but nope. Still really tasty with soft slightly chewy boba. And yeah, it’s hipsterish/IG friendly and whatnot but I don’t care, tbh. It’s still good and I love that damn aardvark.

16 Likes

Call me Old-Fashioned, at Streamliner (Union Station)…

7 Likes

Had brunch down in Downtown Santa Ana at Chapter One…meh won’t even mentioned it.

So what is a FTC’er to do to unfuk this tragedy?

1. Portola Coffee. They have a natural processed coffee from Burundi on the menu. I am a big fan of natural processed most of the ones I had are from Ethiopia.

Added a splash of honey to enhance the berry flavor. Taste and aroma is berry and citrus. Great coffee!!!

1. I knew there was a Mariscos truck down the street at Main and Pine.

Mariscos Los Corales.

Tostada Mixta. With some Salsa Huichol and Salsa Sinaloa (both better than the more popular Tapatio and Cholua!!!). Fresh and not overly marinated. Devoured it.

Tacos Al Gobernador. Why aren’t these more of a thing? I been to many of LA’s best Mariscos trucks and this taco is not too common but I suppose they can make it on the fly. Shrimp and Cheese. That salsa verde packs a punch here.

Other popular items are the marlin tacos and empanadas.

Day saved!!! Both of those cost the same as my entree at Chapter One btw

8 Likes

Saturday: Happy Harbor (Rowland Heights) dim sum. Walked in at 11:30AM and immediately got a table. Line out the door when we left an hour later.
Sunday: Burritos La Palma (Santa Ana) best birria filled burritos I’ve ever had…and the homemade tortillas made everything even better. I think I enjoyed the deshebrada (beef with green chile) the most. The flautas were delightful. I also picked up a package of their tortillas to take home.

P.S. The tortillas we brought home were used to make simple quesadillas. The kid has proclaimed them to be the best tortillas he’s ever eaten and proceeded to warm one up plain to eat without accouterments.

8 Likes

We tried to get into the King Tut exhibit, but the horrific traffic/parking made us abandon that plan. Since we were already in the area, I thought we could head toward Holbox.

Shrimp tacos
IMG_0542

Fish tacos
IMG_0543

Almeja preparada (giant surf clam)
IMG_0544

Smoked fish tostada
IMG_0545

All absolutely delicious, but the fish taco gets a special mention for the flesh being MELTINGLY tender. The juice from the surf clam was so good I was pouring it over the crackers, even after I had eaten all the protein.

The man working the register said that he loves the blood clams. He said that they have a fairly powerful mineral-y flavor. I’m not huge fan of that in general, so I went for the surf clams. But maybe next time I’m in the area, I’ll try the blood clams…

How YOU doin’???
IMG_0540

Some uni (for @PorkyBelly) and surf clams:
IMG_0541

14 Likes

Mexican food!!! Anyone else had some this weekend?

1 Like

An outstanding late-night supper at Best Girl (DTLA)…

Baked clams, with garlicky herb butter, breadcrumbs, bacon, lemon… Honestly, the cherry stone clams tasted so damn fresh and great that the bacon wasn’t necessary (so I saved the bacon pieces for the spinach which came later).

Casarecce seafood pasta, with Calabrian chiles, Cape Provisions shrimp, squid, lobster, mint, opal basil, along with Bloomsdale spinach… Wonderfully al dente, with just the right spicy kick - The seafood components (again) were truly delicious. This dish rocks.

7 Likes

Green thinking in the best way possible. :wink:

1 Like

Lunch at Marisco Jalisco

Tacos de Camaron, Ceviche de Pescado, Mixta, Poseidon (mixta + aguachile)
Light. Fresh. YUM!

Dinner time! 110 years old. Philippe claims to be the inventor of the French dip?

Meh French Dip
Slightly overcooked meat. Soggy buns.

Not satisfied with my French dip so bang bang down the street!

Beef Taquitos with Avocado Sauce and Tamal
YUM.

11 Likes

Breakfast at Langers

7 Likes

You should check out La Unica it’s down the street from Mariscos Jalisco. Get a birra quesataco, Beef or Goat with some free consommé

Foodie media loves Teddy Reds for birra but La Unica is far superior

2 Likes

Philippe’s and Cielito Lindo is the probably the most classic Los Angeles Bang Bang of All Time. Tourists and locals alike have probably done that bang bang for like 70-80 years.

8 Likes