Of Lobster Rolls, Chilled Shrimp and More - New England Lobster Market & Eatery [Thoughts + Pics]

On the first day of our trip, we found ourselves passing through the area and decided to give New England Lobster Market & Eatery a try.

As we walked in, we noticed a huge set of fish tanks, filled with Live Lobsters, where you could choose the size of Lobster if you wanted to have Steamed Lobster. They even had some at 9 lbs(!) which reminded me of the monstrous, (in)famous ones at Newport Seafood. :smile:

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail:

The Mexican Shrimp Cocktail was excellent! Meaty, plump, fresh-tasting. They were perfect for the beautiful weather this day. :blush:

House Salad (S):

Pretty fresh blend of Mixed Lettuces and Arugula, Cucumbers, Carrots and Bell Peppers.

Crab Nachos:

This sounded kind of outrageous so we had to order this. :stuck_out_tongue: :sweat_smile:

These were Housemade Potato Chips topped with Steamed Dungeness Crab meat, Mozzarella, Black Beans and a Creamy Garlic Sauce. And it was pretty darn tasty (if a bit decadent). :slight_smile:

Lobster Roll - Dressed (Light Mayo, Salt & Pepper):

New England Lobster Market’s version of the Lobster Roll featured very fresh, bright chunks of Lobster Claw meat. The Mayo was indeed “light” and not overdressed. This was excellent, inherently sweet, just cooked through Lobster meat. The Bread for the Lobster Roll was OK: A thick cut Brioche-like Bread.

I would say Connie & Ted’s Lobster Roll is superior, but this had more meat and was on par with Lobsta’ Truck (early days).

Housemade Chips:

Their Housemade Chips are tasty. They could be a bit more crispy, but in general they had some crispness and a little bit of crunch.

New England Lobster Market & Eatery was a nice place to grab a quick lunch, providing some solid Lobster Rolls and their Mexican Shrimp Cocktail was excellent. If we were in the area again, we’d be glad to go back to try their Oysters and other Dungeness Crab dishes. :wink: (@beefnoguy if you’ve tried this place, how do the Oysters compare with C&T?)

New England Lobster Market & Eatery
824 Cowan Rd.
Burlingame, CA 94080
Tel: (650) 443-1559

https://www.newenglandlobster.net/#home

Update:

Stopped by New England Lobster Market & Eatery again since we were passing through and forgot to research out other places to eat for lunch. :sweat_smile:

They had plenty of Live Lobsters to choose from (our friends decided to try the 1 pound and 1.5 pound Lobsters, steamed (they loved it).

Crab Manhattan Soup:

This tasted pretty close to a Manhattan Clam Chowder, except instead of Clams, they used Crab. It was less briny than a standard Manhattan, but still quite tasty and warming on this chilly day. :slight_smile:

House Salad (S):

Dungeness Crab Sandwich:

I saw this last time and wanted to order it, but we had to try their famous Lobster Roll first. The Dungeness Crab Sandwich arrives on toasted, pan-seared Bread (like a Patty Melt), slightly oily, but crisped and tasty. They serve plenty of Dungeness Crab Meat inside, and it tasted fresh, lightly (inherently) sweet, briny, and delicious. :slight_smile:

The Chips were so-so, tasting like they were lukewarm and made a bit earlier. The Slaw was lightly sweet, creamy and fine.

Crab Nachos:

The Housemade Potato Chips here were warmer / more crisp (probably a newer batch as this arrived last). The Dungeness Crab, Black Beans and Creamy Garlic Sauce made this as tasty as our last visit.

Overall, I think it’s a solid place to stop by if you’re in the mood for fresh, Steamed Live Lobster (by the pound), and they make solid Lobster Rolls and a tasty Dungeness Crab Sandwich. :slight_smile:

824 Cowan Rd.
Burlingame, CA 94080

5 Likes

New England originally supplied lobsters only wholesale to restaurants (some high end restaurant clientele included), then some years back relocated to the current location and opened up the Market & Eatery so consumers could purchase such quality retail (live of course, not the kind consumed on premise). It’s not crab season quite yet (maybe in another 2 months), but they have some decent specimens there as well.

Give their lobster bisque next time you visit. Even the blueberry lemonade is good.

Their oysters and top neck/little neck clams pale in comparison (in quality and variety) to Connie & Ted’s and can be inconsistent at times, but for this side of the state it’s very decent.

1 Like

Thanks @beefnoguy. Very interesting that they used to be wholesale only, supplying many restaurants around the bay area. I’ll definitely give their Lobster Bisque a try next time if I’m in the area, and skip the Oysters. :wink:

Pretty darn good-looking lobster roll, looks like the one’s I grew up with back East.
I am a little surprised at the Lobsta’ Truck comparison - I had one at LT and it looked like shit compared to that (and, frankly, did not taste much better).

1 Like

Hi @CiaoBob,

Yah it was definitely tasty. :slight_smile: Thanks for the thoughts on comparing to the ones back East.

I should’ve clarified about Lobsta’ Truck: It should’ve said, “Lobsta’ Truck early days.” Back when @kevin first raved about it, I was able to visit the truck as well and they had some excellent rolls back then. But they went downhill / were inconsistent. The last 2 - 3 visits were just mediocre (and we haven’t been back). Thanks.

Update:

Stopped by New England Lobster Market & Eatery again since we were passing through and forgot to research out other places to eat for lunch. :sweat_smile:

They had plenty of Live Lobsters to choose from (our friends decided to try the 1 pound and 1.5 pound Lobsters, steamed (they loved it).

Crab Manhattan Soup:

This tasted pretty close to a Manhattan Clam Chowder, except instead of Clams, they used Crab. It was less briny than a standard Manhattan, but still quite tasty and warming on this chilly day. :slight_smile:

House Salad (S):

Dungeness Crab Sandwich:

I saw this last time and wanted to order it, but we had to try their famous Lobster Roll first. The Dungeness Crab Sandwich arrives on toasted, pan-seared Bread (like a Patty Melt), slightly oily, but crisped and tasty. They serve plenty of Dungeness Crab Meat inside, and it tasted fresh, lightly (inherently) sweet, briny, and delicious. :slight_smile:

The Chips were so-so, tasting like they were lukewarm and made a bit earlier. The Slaw was lightly sweet, creamy and fine.

Crab Nachos:

The Housemade Potato Chips here were warmer / more crisp (probably a newer batch as this arrived last). The Dungeness Crab, Black Beans and Creamy Garlic Sauce made this as tasty as our last visit.

Overall, I think it’s a solid place to stop by if you’re in the mood for fresh, Steamed Live Lobster (by the pound), and they make solid Lobster Rolls and a tasty Dungeness Crab Sandwich. :slight_smile:

824 Cowan Rd.
Burlingame, CA 94080

2 Likes