Oh suckling, my suckling!

Would like to find a place to purchase a whole suckling pig (thawed) in July. 20-25 lbs would be ideal. I’ll be coming from LA and taking it out to the JTree area. So anywhere between here and there is fair game, SGV in particular.

Price is not a major issue - I don’t need a heritage breed or anything but would like to purchase from a quality purveyor. Since I need it thawed I assume ordering well in advance will be necessary. I plan on spatchcocking it and splaying it out over a cinderblock pit. So I’d like the butcher to crack the spine. Still working out some details of the cook but think I’m leaning toward mopping it down with coconut water for about 5 or 6 hours.

Additional challenges include the fact that I will have no running water or refrigeration on site. So if the butcher can fully clean the pig in advance that is a HUGE plus. Not sure if brining will be an option. Ideally, I’d find a ratty old marine cooler, ice the pig down and then add a few cups of salt before I crash on Friday and wake up Saturday and start cooking. I’ll be at altitude so not worried too much about spoiling overnight even in summer.

So mainly I want help finding this little piggy at market but also looking for advice on how to get him home (and cook him up).

Have you also x-posted on the Home Cooking forum? Posters there might not be able to help w/ a purveyor (and I can’t help w/ that, either), but they might have some ideas about transport + cooking w/ the restrictions you’ve listed.

Jonathan Gold tackles the issue of where to buy an uncooked suckling pig in LA:

4 Likes

Cal Poly Pomona’s Meat processing facility is on hiatus after the long time professor retired. They are currently accepting RFPs for a P3 to run their facility.

Cal Poly San Luis Obispo’s facility is operating.

1 Like

Pretty sure you can get them at 99 ranch just call the meat department

You want a live one? I think my Armenian spot may have them, though it’s usually our spot for lamb/quail

I’d prefer it dead. But assuming you meant uncooked, yeah. Where’s your spot?

They dead it for you on the spot and get it ready for cooking. Fresh is always much better than frozen. Im’ just not sure they carry piglets but they probably do.

la-quail-farm-sun-valley

Try these guys in Jurupa Valley. http://oldereminiscefarms.com/kunekune-pork

I’m sure McCall’s, Marconda, Huntington Meats, Ranch 99 could also source for you with a few days notice.