Origin of BangBang?

Okay, I can’t help a final encore because you so readily play the fool.

4 Likes

Tee hee.

The point of the “irregardless” is to shut down conversation. So “irregardless” is a word.

Yes it is a word. And as vindictive as said dissenter is (must have the last word - must), good luck shutting this down. Waiting…

3 Likes

Communication depends on shared understanding of the meaning of words and phrases. If enough people misuse a word or phrase, that meaning will eventually end up in dictionaries, but I don’t think that’s the case here.

The original post in the Bang Bang topic was about a serious bang bang, in fact a bang bang bang bang bang bang.

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.” “The question is,” said Alice, “whether you can make words mean so many different things.”

1 Like

“Grazing” has been in common use for over 40 years and that definition was added to most dictionaries long ago.

2 Likes

I need a bong bong after reading this insane thread .

5 Likes

Oh, sweetie, I think you/we are too old :slight_smile:

sez you

Actually Cath I am going backwards in time . Not acting my age at all . Young women , young attitude . Living life . I should have been doing this years ago . Are we having fun yet . I am .:sunglasses:

Yes, You. Are.

1 Like

The only person missing from this thread is Asethete/Julian😂

1 Like

Nooooooo…:astonished::scream::fearful:

1 Like

Can someone mention ‘Hitler’ and kill this thread already :wink:

5 Likes

Hitler.

xoxo,
Mike Godwin

1 Like

I love “xoxo.”

Throwing out the word “Hitler” does not invoke Godwin’s law any more than spreading a normal-sized meal across two restaurants constitutes a bang bang.

Yes, I know. And I’m the one who keeps insisting that it’s a crawl, not a bang bang.

2 Likes

I was a big fan of Gossip Girl.

To me, a proper “crawl” is hitting a series of places for the same thing, or a series of places of the same kind: sausage crawl, BBQ crawl, bakery crawl, ice cream crawl.

I’m pretty sure the original was “pub crawl,” which dates back to the 1920s, if not earlier.

That seems valid, but it’s also been put forth that grazing is limited to one location, as in the NYT article I linked to upthread. And the one you linked to.