Origin of BangBang?

I sign LOADS of my emails that way…and sometimes it’s “xoxoxoxoxo,c” especially to my daughters.

I agree that by the original definition you can’t have/do a bang bang without gorging. And you have to go to at least two places. We ate too much dim sum this morning - five dishes for two of us - but all in one place. And we were very full but not sick feeling.

When “grazing” first came into the foodie vocabulary in the mid-80s, small plates were a new thing and it wasn’t possible to hit a bunch of places. For example, the first one in SF was Little City in North Beach, which opened in '81 or '82. I don’t think there was a second until Fog City opened two or three years later, and they were about a 20-minute walk apart.

Oh, gosh, I hadn’t thought of Little City in ages! We took my MIL and her husband there, recommended how to order - small plates - which they ignored, got full-on entrees and were disappointed. That was a recurring theme with her. Thanks for a fun memory :slight_smile:

Is there evidence to support that “grazing” is being used to denote a non-themed food crawl? Akin to those progressive dinner parties, where one has appetizers at one person’s house, followed by entrees at a second person’s house, etc.

I don’t think “grazing” has any geographical connotation.

… to eat small portions of food throughout the day She was grazing on snacks all afternoon. …

… (of a person) eat frequent snacks at irregular intervals. ‘advertisers should not encourage children to graze on snacks or sweets’

… to eat small portions of food, as appetizers or the like, in place of a full-sized meal or to snack during the course of the day in place of regular meals. …

My sister-in-law told us about Little City. Hard to believe now that small plates have been ubiquitous for so long, but we didn’t really get the concept until we went there.

Hmm. The activity we’re trying to name - which I’m just going to call “not bang bang” at this point - is more purposeful and structured than the definitions of “grazing” you provide. A not bang bang is active and designed: we will go here and eat something, and then there and eat something else. This is not at all like “grazing on snacks all afternoon,” which sounds like grabbing a granola bar or a handful of chips from time to time. And “to eat small portions of food, as appetizers or the like, in place of a full-sized meal” does not specify changes in location, which a not bang bang absolutely must have.

2 Likes

I just found this old CH post. I’d forgotten that we ate that much!

My 11 yo daughter and I polished off 20 soup dumplings, 7 wontons and 4 siu mai the other night. And we were very full. And felt a bit sick.

And then we got cupcakes for dessert. From another place. Making it a bang bang.

It was a good night.

Each, or for the both of you?

If the former, it was indeed a good night.

If the latter, was it a Weight Watcher meeting night?

2 Likes

Did you misuse the B-B word?:drooling_face::astonished::scream: The pendantic dogma police are coming!

5 Likes

Yep, if you feel sick that would qualify as a b-b. The last thing I’d want to feel.

Both. Just remembered I had the cold cucumber app too. She’s not a big meat eater so I was surprised she ate what she did. That was after a stop at Portos for coffee and cheese rolls a couple hours prior, so I guess it was a bang bang bang? I could have done a few more xlb, but she was struggling so we called it a night. Until cupcakes, and then she was suddenly hungry again.

My 13yo old, otoh, could probably polish off 40 xlb on his own. Without being full or sick. He’s got hollow legs.

My daughter miraculously regains her appetite when dessert-y stuff is on queue after dinner. She explains that her stomach has four sections, one each for breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert. Kids are so dang smart and resourceful.

2 Likes

My stepdaughter made the same proclamation last week. After telling us how full she was, she asked for dessert. When I called her on it, she very calmly stated that dessert occupies a completely different part of the stomach and that there’s always room.

3 Likes

As long as she’s eaten enough of the non-dessert to constitute an adequate meal, then sure. And as long as obesity isn’t issue, then why not. Our girls were so wildly athletic that it was more a matter of getting enough in them. They like good food but are more eat to live…except when the grand foods come out :slight_smile:

One of my favorite obscure bands, Man Man (art-rock group out of Philadelphia) has a whole song about the eat-to-live vs live-to-eat divide. The video is… interesting, but in a good way. If you like Zappa and Tom Waits and literary references, you might get a kick out of these guys: