Osteria Mozza - Hancock Park

Granchio.

It really is, especially the crudo.

10 Likes

The uni and lardo toast reminded me of Providence’s version on a toasted focaccia. YUM!

FB_IMG_1536000069113
uni canapé | focaccia topped with uni, black truffle, and bruleed lardo

4 Likes

i need that right now. when did they start serving that?

That picture was taken 5+ years ago. It was part of a “uni duo” course that you can request.

Here’s the other half of the duo:
FB_IMG_1536000672748
santa barbara sea urchin | served in a farm fresh egg, champagne beurre blanc, fines herbes

1 Like

5 Likes

I would imagine that this is still something you can request! It’s their “signature” dish like the ugly bunch.

FB_IMG_1536000854053
the ugly bunch | abalone, geoduck, uni, razor clam, smoked creme fraiche panna cotta

4 Likes

Uni toasts (and other “simple” crostinis and sandwiches - for lack of a better term - like burgers and lobster rolls) really depend on proportions and how they stay composed when it’s being eaten. Many places do an uni toast or something similar but few do it very well.

The lobster roll at Connie & Ted’s is an example of a well-proportioned sandwich that “eats well.” Also, I had a good “hamburger sandwich” at Dad’s Luncheonette yesterday, and the proportions were excellent and I liked how the melted cheese was on the underside of the burger patty, just above the fried egg and not on top the party where others often place it (resulting in a weird interaction with the lettuce). I’m not a burger connnoissuer but I noted this yesterday - maybe I haven’t paid attention to others’ but this burger struck me as being thought out quite well.

I really like the idea of a crab broth. I had an awesome crab bouillon (from the shells of many tiny crabs that were like sawagani) that accompanied another type of crab at Hedone in London. So much pure and deep flavor!

3 Likes

If I remember correctly (it’s been a while since I’ve been to Providence), it was nori focaccia. Pretty smart way to integrate flavors from the gunkanmaki form in which we’re used to seeing uni presented.

However, part of what makes gunkanmaki so nice are the texture and temperature contrasts between crisp nori, appropriately sticky and just-above-room-temp rice, and cold, velvety uni.

Saison for example masters the texture and temperature contrast well in their “liquid toast” - given chef Josh’s tenure with Jean Georges, it’s an appropriate signature dish that pays homage well to SF (the tartine bread, the “soy” sauce made of homemade grains toasted by their live fire).

Chef’s Table at Brooklyn Fare does the uni, brioche, and truffle toast really well - I really do think that if one is using truffle here, that bafun uni as CTBF uses works much better than Santa Barabaea murasaki uni, at least for the kind we get in the states

While I liked Providence’s version, I thought that Saison’s and CTBF’s were just a level or two higher in concept and execution.

3 Likes

I already secured a reservation there so I’m looking forward to it!

That is my all-time favorite dish at Providence!

1 Like

The kind of what we get in the states?

Murasaki uni. Imo, Hokkaido bafun uni has a slight earthiness that’s a great match for a little bit of truffle. A better match than American murasaki uni, ie the variety of uni often sourced from Santa Barbara.

so how were your peaches and cheese?

I love the name.

1 Like

Great @PorkyBelly.

Bufala Mozzarella & Sungolds with a glass of wine at the bar sounds like a plan

Sorry about the Agnolotti Overkill, but that Potato Ravioli w/Crab Brodo and Honey Baked Peach Dessert? :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I don’t know why we don’t go there more. Once we found Chi Spacca it’s the only Mozzaplex place i seem to want to go to but we always have a drink at Mozza first. This just convinced me to try and book a bday dinner, but it’s just outside of the time range.

2 Likes

True. Can’t take its presence for granted. I was just there last month and thought the same thing (BTW I feel the same about their uni/lardo crostini as others here have)

so how were your peaches and cheese?

I wasn’t able to get to the east side that week. I’m pretty sure I missed it, because I don’t see it on the menu, plus all the peaches I bough lately are mushy, the season may be over. :frowning:

Next year!!