Otoño - Highland Park

This makes Spanish baby Jesus cry

At least they got away from the machine slicer at least.

3 Likes

Looks like a Jaws (or The Meg) took a bite of Porky’s leg.

1 Like

Went last week and enjoyed my meal, though I think it may be better as a drink and snack at the bar kind of place - the cocktails were pretty fantastic and the Happy Hour menu looks really nice.

Got a paella, and the waitress did make a point of noting that there would be socarrat, which she went out of her way to describe and assure us was NOT a mistake (I assume there’s been some customer confusion). I have not been to Valencia nor have I had a mountain of serious paella so I don’t have a ton to compare it to, but there was a crunchy crust that I enjoyed quite a bit.

2 Likes

booked it

We discussed this on another thread. It’s probably why you have to request socarrat in some Spanish restaurants here and sometimes pay extra. Too many people are wasting food and costing restaurants $ by sending the paella back.

2 Likes

Happy to report there was socarrat in both the paella mariscos and the fideuo negra tonight at Otoño. Really satisfying scraping up the noodles and rice. We did not ask for it either. Maybe customers are getting wise?

4 Likes

:slight_smile:

Great to hear!

I thought this was by the great suspendered one when I first read it.

1 Like

I LOVE spanish food and Spain is probably my favorite country in Europe, but I haven’t gone to Otoño because my meal at Racion was so underwhelming. Do I owe a visit to Otoño or is it pretty much on par to what Racion was?

Here in L.A., we have such a dearth of restaurants declaring themselves as true Spanish that I figure we just have to give every one of them a shot.

2 Likes

Sometimes it’s the little details like seeing ‘Setas’ instead of hongos that may make me curious enough to go

1 Like

Any more reports? I hate to waste a meal!

I went back about a month ago or so. I think it remains a very good neighborhood restaurant, and might be destination worthy if you’re looking specifically for this type of hip Spanish food. Great cocktails and well-executed dishes, and plenty of crispy socarrat on the Paella.

Anyone tried their takeout paella??

1 Like

Peony: This is our second visit to Otoño and we had a good time! I found they did a good job seasoning the shrimp and octopus to enhance the natural flavors without covering the flavors. In comparison, the paella was not that impressive. Overall I find this is another lovely neighborhood restaurant, but not on my list of best restaurants in LA

Warrior: While I think this restaurant is pleasant and love the wine list (except no sherry, strangely), I’m not convinced of its merits. I think the flavors aren’t quite right. This restaurant is not at a level where it should be putting miso in paella. Also, I had a realization about conservas today: we foodies have all been sheep. Canned and bottled seafood are way inferior to fresh seafood. Fresh sardines are way tastier than Brujula sardines. The idea that putting seafood into a can with olive oil creates a delicacy is ridiculous.

i

1 Like

Yep.

Apples and oranges. Each has their own merits and their own uses on appropriate occasions.

6 Likes

Indeed. Some of my favorite meals/snacks are a bottle of wine and conservas with crackers or bread.

4 Likes

IMO it’s quite fantastic. There are some really great heritage tinned fish brands out there that are worth trying!

2 Likes

Is this the typical way of eating them? B/c I tried canned/tinned octopus once and its own, and it seemed very “meh” to me. So I’m open to trying something other style of eating it!