Pasadena Updates

That’s Mint Leaf: had some very good food from there and some fairly lackluster. Prices seem to be a bit high for quality/quantity, but veg dishes are solid and more affordable.

has anyone been to torino’s on washington? the garlic chicken sandwich is supposed to be good.

The grand opening of Baja Cali Fish & Tacos was on Saturday.

I’ve been a few times and would go more but their hours are not that convenient since they are basically only open for lunch. Everything is cooked to order so it takes a while.

1 Like

i see they close at 5pm. i now have them bookmarked as a place to try though i’m more anxious for bali cali tacos over by altadena dr. to open for their $.99 fish tacos on tuesdays.

1 Like

@Al_Bondigas reports that Cafe Bizou has closed:

FrenchiFornia opened recently, and makes something I’ve rarely seen around these parts. Savory eclairs. The avocado shrimp eclair is pretty interesting, albeit quite rich.

1 Like

I assume the shrimp has been pureed into a mousse?

Yes, along with the avocado.

2 Likes

But how are their croissants and baguettes?

1 Like

Dunno.

I’m pretty ossified in my croissant (and baguette) routine.

i will be there next tuesday or the fish taco special!!! missed it yesterday.

Chicken taquitos were quite good. They didn’t give me any potato chips to go. Will have to remember next time.

I walked by Lost at Sea yesterday at 12:15pm and there was not 1 patron in the restaurant for lunch. The Himalayan Tibetian lunch buffet across the street was packed. They generally have about 2 chicken dishes and 4-5 veggie dishes including pakoras. The naan is very good. $13 all in with tip.

I heard they are doing the $0.99 fish taco special all week since they are running with a limited menu this week.

I walked by Lost at Sea yesterday at 12:15pm and there was not 1 patron in the restaurant for lunch.

Yeah, that was my impression when I went too. They’re really struggling to find their niche in the lunch hours. I think they’re aiming for a brisk take-out business at lunch from the workers around the area, but it’s hard to compete on price, but workers aren’t willing to risk paying so much for takeout food.

I just had the avo and shrimp eclair and it was pretty good. I usually avoid eclairs because I don’t have a sweet tooth, but the savory one hit the spot. I also was curious and tried their croissant. Not bad for Pasadena and certainly better than the croissants that some coffee shops nearby are serving.

2 Likes

Just went there and they informed me that the full menu will go into effect next Monday and the .99 cent fish taco special will revert to Tuesdays only. Three tacos were a pretty filling portion for me.

1 Like

Has anyone tried Bistro Mon Cheri? It’s at the corner of Colorado Blvd and Mentor, where Euro Pane is located, on the second level. It’s an intriguing menu, I think.

Review: https://www.pasadenaweekly.com/2017/05/18/bistro-mon-cheris-innovative-menu-fine-dining-delight-05-18-17/

It’s pretty good. For Pasadena.

But if you’re there, you’re just better off going to Euro Pane a down the street.

1 Like

Seems like a different sort of restaurant, no?