Pasadena Updates

Hah! I remember when Tommy Tang was in Old Town. (Hell, I remember when he was on Melrose.) Wonder what he’s up to? Catering?
Wasn’t Saladang sold?

Yes, I believe it was.

But Saladang is still selling what tastes like pre-packaged frozen Hungry-Man versions of Thai dishes, and Saladang Song has now become Saladang Garden (or something).

It’s alright for Pasadena, but not really a destination location. I’d go there if I was working nearby and pressed for time. Otherwise, I’d drive the extra 10 mins south to the SGV.

1 Like

Twohey’s is expanding to Pasadena, on Foothill Blvd next to the revamped McDonald’s in the old Nueva Posada spot. New place will be called Twohey’s Tavern. This likely explains all the menu changes at the Alhambra location, if they’re trying new recipes.

Partner walked by the new place tonight and mentioned it when he got home; quick search shows that Eater knew about this in June:

Interesting, we used to go to Twoheys a lot due to the kids. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’d mentioned the menu changes back in June - figured they were trying to reach a new clientele.

1 Like

the soft opening menu was still up when i went yesterday, i should have asked for clarification. i guess i was giddy about the fact that the place was pretty much empty and i didn’t have to wait very long for eight tacos to go

(there are no tables or chairs yet).

2 Likes

Sahara on Colorado near Sierra Madreb was excellent for lunch. I got the combo plate which was chicken kebob, steak kebob and lulu kebob with rice pilaf, hummus and tabbouleh. Each of the kebobs was very flavorful and most. The steak was a tad over cooked but still good. Best lulu kebob I’ve ever eaten. Great spicing and nice chart on the outside. The chicken was perfect. Loved watching these guys take the pre skewersd kebobs and put them on the flame. Takes about 15-20 minutes as they cook to order over those burning hot coals. Pita were store bought but who cares.

Really can’t recommend Sahara enough for their great kebobs. The owner is very nice guy. Calls everybody bro. If they keep on feeding me those delicious kebobs I’ll be his bro forever.

1 Like

One of our favorites (great falafel, wonderful take out packaging when we order 2 dozen of them) - but their pita is from a bag, thin and dry. :sob:

Noticed that Famous Shish Kabob on Colorado at Vinedo had paper in the windows. Not sure what’s going on - small Persian place.
http://famousshishkabob.com

Awesome! Can’t wait to try it!

Union Street Cafe has a great beef brisket sandwich, and an awesome carrot cake (made without that fluorescent red food coloring).

http://www.unionsandwich.com/

1 Like

Wait - WHAT? I didn’t know peeps even did that!

This is what I get for making my own carrot cake…

But the brisket sandwich sounds awesome!

You can get their brisket on any of their salads as well.

By no means a destination spot, but a good spot for breakfast and/or lunch.

1 Like

Nick’s on South Lake (in the old Bru space). Very clean and modern looking. Staff falling over themselves with politeness. Menu seems a lot like Houston’s.
Had a Spicy Thai Salad with chicken. Actually had spice.
With their sweeteners, they serve an agave in tubes.

1 Like

This is where the magic happens. But that pita…bleh. Everything else at Sahara is top notch.

1 Like

I love this thread.

Anyone had a chance to try Mark Peel’s Prawn yet?

Had an epic Happy Hour at Alexander’s with Crab Fried Rice off the HH menu.

I’m going to try and hit it up for lunch next week and will report back.

Went to Great Maple the other day. It’s like Houston’s but not as good. I had the chopped salad and it was pretty bland. The chicken was very dry - probably leftover from last night but just bone dry. They used romaine which wouldn’t have been my first choice. The dressing was pretty flavorless. The only saving grace were the bits of chopped chorizo and olives.

The appetizers were better. Portobello mushroom fries and toasts were good.

Music in the space is unreasonably high for a mid week afternoon. There is absolutely no reason the volume to be that high. It was almost impossible to have a conversation at our table.

We saw a lot of fried chicken and maple bacon donuts coming out the window. I was trying to be healthy but it smelled and looked delicious. Not sure I would come here often given the price point for lunch.

I tried Prawn yesterday for lunch. I got the Thai lobster roll with fries.

The fries are more like slices of potato, deep fried. Very good. The lobster roll, I could have skipped. Before ordering, I asked if it was going to be wet because the menu made it sound like it would be wet and the person behind the counter assured me it wasn’t wet and there was just some sauce on it.

It was pretty wet. A few decent chunks of lobster, but the rest was all broken down and a wet mess. The curry taste was there, but it was undersalted. The lobster was also overcooked so that it had that weird spongey texture, which was not nice.

I think it’s in the old Johnny Rocket’s space and the outdoor area is nice, with a bolted down bar and bar seating and a handful of tables. The inside was very spacious, but your typical loud modern restaurant with bar seating.

Green Street Cafe has opened at Oak Knoll and Green. The sign says mediterranean cuisine, but it’s basically Armenian/Lebanese with the usual pita wraps, hummus, etc. Curiously, there are also protein drinks. The chicken wrap I had had a nice spicy kick.

1 Like

Crack Shack is coming to Pasadena.

1 Like