Pasadena Updates

truth be told, i’m not a big fan of LA deli’s in general having been on the east coast NYC in particular.

they finally opened? i mentioned them about a month ago.

Central Park has been remodeled and rebranded as Central Grille. They took down the photos, painted the walls burgundy. Menu is the same although prices seem to have risen about a dollar per item.

i’m near central park fairly often and i don’t think i’ve ever seen a patron there. but i’m also not a morning person.

I’ve only been in the evenings. Maybe that’s when they do most of their business.

is that when joey and monica show up?

2 Likes

LOL. It’s not Central Perk.

1 Like

I’ve been to Central Park a few times in the morning, and each time I’ve left yearning for the day the Cheesecake Factory up the street would serve breakfast.

Shout out to Chronicle Wine Cellar. Small place with limited hours but interesting wines at fair prices. 3% discount if you pay cash. http://www.cwcellar.com/

1 Like

they’re no longer dormant and now proclaim via signage on fair oaks that they now serve breakfast. i am not a breakfast person so i leave it to someone like @ipsedixit looking a better alternative to central park/grille on certain mornings.

Swedish Scoops opened up on Raymond down the street from Jimmy Johns. Not sure what Swedish gelato is but I’m going to try it. Looks cute inside.
https://swedish-scoops-homemade-gelato-coffee-bar.business.site/

Tortugas next to King Taco is closed.

1 Like

Intrigued. Gelato with lots and lots of lagom? Please report back!

Definitely some interesting and unique flavors. Basically gelato using Swedish ingredients like Swedish pears, Daim, etc… Red Bull or Bubble Gum gelato anyone? Owner was very nice and let me sample a bunch.

I tried the melon, blackberry, pear and ultimately settled on pineapple. The flavors were nice a bit restrained and not too sweet. The pineapple was a little denser than the other flavors but I suspect this is because the pineapple was down to the end of the container. It almost tasted like a pineapple creamcicle which I loved. I’d come back again and try some more flavors.

There is a Paradiso Gelato 2 blocks away so we’ll see how this place does.

2 Likes

being passive-aggressive is beneath you.

1 Like

the arturo’s taco truck on fair oaks just south of del mar now features a separate al pastor station.

if you order al pastor, they give you a second receipt that you take over to the station and the person fills your order. i decided to try one, along with my usual order of cabesa.

it was quite flavorful. i’m still assimilating mexican cuisine, so i’m not going to try and categorize where it ranks in the pantheon of places offering al pastor, but IIRC cooks who specialize in al pastor typically draw a higher wage in the taco world. i was also intrigued by the alleged lebanese origins of al pastor; there are so many different influences in mexican regional cooking and there doesn’t seem to be anyone on this board who really gets into it.

1 Like

Made my way to Cluck2Go for lunch today. Great Hainan chicken rice. Chicken was tender and flavorful while the chicken broth infused rice was aromatic and got a nice chew. Lastly, the broth given was from the broth that the chicken steeped in. Yum!

4 Likes

RE: Ding’s Cold Appetizer Plate

• Just wanted to update you guys, I got a pretty bad case of food poisoning from the cold appetizer plate (beef tendon, pig ears, etc.). Just a heads up, hopefully it was an aberration – haven’t been back since. :frowning:

I wondered what would eventually go into the old 800 Degrees spot. I’m not familiar with Chef Tony. Do we need another dim sum place in old town with Lunasia 4 blocks away?

1 Like

Chef Tony is next level dim sum. It bests Sea Harbour any day.

3 Likes

Yeah. Chef Tony is at the top of my list for my next visit to Vancouver. Given that LA’s best dim sum trails the Bay Area, and the Bay Area trails Vancouver, absolutely yes.

2 Likes