Peche and Cochon in Warehouse District

I am putting these two restaurants in one review because they have the same owners and for me, feel very similar. I know I will have many who disagree, but of all the restaurants I want to in New Orleans, these two were the least interesting. They were very loud, hip places, which is not my fave type of ambiance, and the food was very hit and miss.
First Peche. We got a wine at the bar while we waited for our table to be ready. The bartender, in spite of a full bar, was very helpful and suggested a great wine by the glass. After being seated, we ordered the appetizers, oysters and a smoked fish. The smoked fish was very good! Reminded me the smoked fish we had at Row34 in Boston. The oysters were disappointing. This part may or may not be fair, but I’m used to oyster that taste of the sea, and for me, large oysters are for barbecuing. These oysters tasted of water and my husband refused to eat the large ones. We sent most of the back. I think the waitress could have given us more guidance in ordering.

My main course was a whole fish, which was very, very good! My husband liked his catfish, but I thought it was little on the bland side.

The side of brussel sprouts was a disappointment - way too vinegar-y.

After places like Angelines, Coquettes, and even Toups Meatery, I had high expectations for Cochon. It did not meet them.
Started with a pork cheek, which was just okay.

I would not normally order this, but we had an amazing version at Coquette the night before, so we got the blue crab rice. It was on the chewy side and nowhere near as good as Coquette’s version.

As a main, I ordered the boudin with cracklins on top. The oversalted cracklins were good but the boudin was stringy not worth eating.

Husband had the rabbit dish.

The best dish was the dessert but we ordered that mostly because we hadn’t eaten much of the rest of the meal.

I know people love these places and the waitress at Brigstens explained that in New Orleans, it was hard to find food that was lighter, which is why she liked these places so much. For me, if I’m going to eat boudin, I’d go to Angeline and go elsewhere for lighter cuisine.

3 Likes

Xochitl: Sorry you didn’t like Cochon and Peche. I’m one of those New Orleans people that would have directed you there. Especially to Cochon – it’s one of my favorites in the city. Ham hock with smothered greens? Incredible. Cochon de lait? Super. Just about anything on the menu? Delicious.

Now, “light” is not something in a million years I’d use to describe the food at Cochon or really in a lot of the city. There is lighter fare in New Orleans, but you’ll have to look harder. Maybe a crabmeat salad at Clancy’s. Or a shrimp remoulade first followed by a rabbit tenderloin appetizer at Brightsen’s. And you’ll have room for a beignet later. Or try La Petite Grocery or Patois and get a piece of fish. All good. And you can certainly find lighter choices there.

1 Like

It was the waitress at Brigstens who called it ‘light’. When I’m at a place I like, I generally ask the bartenders or waiters where they suggest going ( get great suggestions that way!). We got discussing Peche and Cochon with her. We told her the places we had liked, besides Brigstens, like Coquette and Angeline and August and Dookie Chase, and she said that for locals, Peche and Cochon were on lighter side of those places, and folks can’t eat heavy food every night. I thought about the boudin and pork check we had had at Cochon, both which lacked richness, and the overall emphasis on vinegar at both places, and thought maybe she was right.

Re: your comment about the oysters -

Many places in New Orleans pride themselves on serving large oysters. Also, describing them as tasting of water? Oysters taste of the water they come from and the brackish water in the Gulf is different than the water elsewhere where oysters are harvested. That doesn’t make them bad; they’re just not what you happen to like.

1 Like

@mhlee (and @Xochitl) – Quite right. Xoxhitl, I apologize but I missed this comment of yours when originally posted.

Gulf Coast oysters are always much larger than the oysters found along the Pacific Coast. It’s in no small part due to the warm water in the Gulf of Mexico, versus the cold current coming out of the Gulf of Alaska, and down the western coast of Canada, Washington, Oregon, and California. There is also a difference in the salinity of the water. (Not all seawaters are equal!)

Now, I love all sorts of oysters, West Coast, East- and Gulf coast. (And you’ll note that East Coast oysters are typically larger than West Coast, but not as big as Gulf Coast, oysters.) And I celebrate and relish the differences in the various types. But not everyone does, and no one ever said you have to love Louisiana oysters . . . though I’m sorry you didn’t.

And, although I don’t live there, I’m with @Paul – I’m sorry you didn’t like Cochon and PĂȘche. They are two of my favorites, but – again – this is precisely why there are more places to eat than just McDonald’s: we each have our own tastes, and they deserve to be satisfied.

1 Like

I agree! They were perfectly shucked, just nothing like I am used to.

Exactly.
They (Gulf Oysters) were the first oysters I ever really liked and everything else is second fiddle to my palate.