People need to try Dough Box pizzas (DTLA delivery and pickup only)

Is the style the classic deep dish (single, thicker crust) or the stuffed crust style (2 layers of crust with toppings inbetween).

I will say, having now spent a lot of time in Chicago, I find the former, classical version to be very difficult to eat. I’d much rather have Zachary’s or Little Star in the Bay than most of the deep dish I’ve had in Chicago.

The former.

Thanks for the write-up, @ipsedixit! I’ve been meaning to try them for a while, but I’m trying to watch my waistline… And hopefully not watch it expand.

I read that one of their partners is formerly from Proof Bakery. That’s a good pedigree as far as I’m concerned.

If you like Zachary’s up North you will love Rance’s in Costa Mesa. Bit of a drive I presume for you,but less than SF if you have a craving :wink:

Okay, many (most?) things don’t “keep” properly, but will this survive a ride home, if home is ~40-60 min away? I assume it should still be decent, since delivery can take awhile…

Yes v

They use a special box.

1 Like

A huge thanks to my favorite smiling blue faced avatar (@ipsedixit) for the recommendation! :slight_smile:

We decided to make the trek and order Dough Box. Nowhere on Dough Box’s website does it say they’re doing authentic Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. In fact all of the pies on their menu are named after famous L.A. streets. :slight_smile: But with @ipsedixit’s recommendation, we were hoping for something good.

The Hill (Mozzarella, Housemade Ricotta Cheese, Garlic, Spinach, Italian Sausage) - 9" Deep Dish Pizza:

First off, this isn’t as insane as a Giordano’s or Pizzeria Uno in Chicago. It’s not as rich and cheesy and massive like Lou Malnati’s either. However, WOW does it taste DELICIOUS! :blush:

Ipse was right: It’s got this great crust, with a bit of chew, but it’s crunchy and buttery and so fragrant! And the ingredients really shine: The Garlic, Spinach and Italian Sausage are wonderful. But the Housemade Ricotta Cheese is what makes this pie interesting. It adds a lightness to each bite, and the Tomato Sauce is just the right amount of tart and not very sweet. The Mozzarella isn’t as stringy as some of the pizzas we had in Chicago, but it was fine as is.

The Spring (Mozzarella, Red Onion, Mushroom, Bell Pepper, Black Olives) - 9" Deep Dish Pizza:

I liked The Spring Pizza even more. The Red Onion, Mushrooms and Bell Peppers tasted fresh and they all blended together to give this pie a really delicious, vegetal depth of flavor. But the Olives really added the extra punch, and the sauce and crust were as great as the previous pie. :slight_smile:

I would have to say Dough Box is now my favorite Chicago-style Deep Dish Pizza in L.A., but I realize it’s not saying much. We like it more than Masa and Tony’s Little Italy. It may not be as authentic as a real Lou Malnati’s pie, but it’s pretty delicious as its own creation. :wink:

As ipse mentioned they are Delivery (within a 5 Mile Radius) or Pick-Up Only. (My friend confirmed they were able to deliver into the Alhambra / Monterey Park border area.) I hope they find a brick and mortar location soon.

Hours:
Tuesday - Sunday, 5 p.m. - 10 p.m.

Dough Box
Curbside pick-up location:
1539 Fishburn Ave.,
Los Angeles, CA 90063
(Park in front of black building that says “Office” and we will bring your pizza to your car)

Tel: (323) 346-6811

10 Likes

From Eater LA:

Living the Pizza Dream, One Delivery at a Time
How Dough Box Pizza manages to keep so many people happy with so little

Read the article here.

4 Likes

Well written article, very interesting from a restaurant economics standpoint.

1 Like

Thanks @ipsedixit. Definitely an interesting article, and it confirms that one of the pizza makers at Dough Boy was from Hollywood Pies originally.

1 Like

oh no way… we used to get ho pies all the time… was this a recent change? we had one a month ago and it’s still same.

You are replying to a post that is ~7 months old, so perhaps they recovered their quality?

I used to quite like Ho Pies, but haven’t tried Dough Box yet, always forget about it somehow.

A friend is confirming that the troubles are real. To be honest I stopped going because the acidity tore up my guts and pricing didn’t make sense to keep buying once they got rid of their weekday special

4 Likes

Glad they stayed in the Neighborhood! :smile:

–Dommy!

1 Like

Yeah, they closed right after Thanksgiving because they were looking for a new spot due to a landlord change/dispute. I guess they got it figured out because they are re-opening in the same spot in week or so.

3 Likes

Never been there, but glad they worked it out. Always rooting for small biz.

Thanks for the info!!

1 Like
3 Likes