Petit Trois Le Valley [L.A. Times]

The omelet and bread/butter are worth driving across desolate valleys and streets. Even if you must ride a mule slowly along El Camino Real to get to Le Valley, it’s worth it.

I like your girlfriend, @Nemroz. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not going to lie I’ve had the omlette, steak frite, escargot , and French onion soup at petit Trois.

Only really like the bread / butter & escargot. French onion is dec. Didn’t love the steak frite and omlette.

1 Like

Yah, I didn’t love the soup, too gooey. But I like the mussels and steak frite. I’m just happy to get plain, ordinary French food; not the over-salted, over-sauced food served at most “French” restaurants.

burger is pretty amazing for me… that saucing totally took it into a very special realm for me… completely lived up to the reviews for me

Highly seasoned dishes with lots of sauce are plenty traditional.

1 Like

i’ve also had the burger i forgot, was too sloppy for me :confused:

The bread and butter is godlike tho hahaha

1 Like

These are my favorite french dishes in fact. the Pave de veau grand crew with morels is my favorite thing at polidor for example… cant get it out of my head

That is very rustic.

Ris de veau, morels, green and white asparagus, greens, hazelnuts, and two sauces is old-school but it’s pretty far from rustic.

1 Like

I think it’s rustic. Everything is chunky and the dish is soupy. Which is fine, just not my preference.

That was a rich demiglace cream sauce, not soupy. The sweetbreads and morels were whole.

1 Like

I do love demi glacé and morels. Okay, it’s haute-ish. :wink:

I’m ripping every tooth i have out if i start preferring the non rustic dishes… this trip to spain/france last month was a revelation about what we like… we just crave old world, tested and true dishes rather than any art food or someone’s attempt at creativity.

2 Likes

Has she tried the one at Farmshop? B/c if she has and still likes Petit Trois, that’s high praise indeed (and makes me think I need to try it myself)…

1 Like

I agree. I have been obsessed with choucroute garnie lately. Between that and tarte flambee (or flamekuche - possible major spelling error) I am contemplating a trip to Alsace for our 30th this year. Haven’t tried bacheofe yet. Normally we stick to the Dordogne or the Loire valley, but rustic Alsatian dishes, and the gorgeous terrain are tugging at my heartstrings. I can’t drink white wine (headache immediately) which puts a damper on things.

2 Likes

Alsace makes fabulous Pinot Noirs.

2 Likes

Ah thank you! I love Pinot Noir!

You ever tried Ludo’s inspiration for it, Au Cheval in Chicago? I’ve had it a few times and it is without question the best burger I’ve ever had.

I’m actually not too crazy about Petit’s burger. The heavy worcester sauce is too much for me.

1 Like

I think about this dish almost daily. It’s the greatest - when done right.

2 Likes

haven’t been to chi, no. that sauce is what made the burger and makes it stand out. there are plenty burger places, that was something different. it’s a dish, not just a sandwich