Phnom Penh Noodle Shack-LBC

I Gem of a place. Khmer-Americans continuing the tradition. Parking is horrible here. The neighborhood is not the best so use caution when parking. There is always a wait.

Phnom Penh Noodle. Wet with rice noodle. Can get it dry with a side of bone soup.
Broth is on point like Steph Curry on the 3 Line.

Thr fried bread sticks are perfect. Not oily at all. They don’t hold up well for too long FYI. These would be great to dip in some coffee with condense milk.

Getting the marrow out!

Loat Cha, tear drop noodles. If you are a fan of pan fried noodles…chow fun, char kway teow, pad see ew, you will love this!

In the words of @J_L

HIGHLY RECOMMEND

13 Likes

I go here on the regular because I work at CSULB. I highly recommend ordering any of the soup noodles “dry” since you basically get the same ingredients to create the noodle soup BUT you also get a big pork joint to go with it. Definitely the way to go at any of the Cambodian noodle spots in LB.

Parking can be a challenge but I generally haven’t had a problem with it. Cherry often will have at least 1-2 spots open across the street. The side streets are much tougher plus you have to deal with street-cleaning days. I’d give Cherry a look first and then hit up the side streets as Plan B.

I’d disagree that the neighborhood is anywhere you’d have to be overly nervous about. I mean, I wouldn’t leave my wallet on the dash or anything but that would apply to any neighborhood in L.A.

It certainly can get busy but I’d say, 40-50% of the time I go for lunch, there’s little to no wait if you’re a party of 1-2 people.

4 Likes

My cambo coworker says the place is legit. i’ve still never had cambodian

1 Like
3 Likes

Good to see them get some foodie recognition and coverage. One of the best restaurants in the LBC. Haven’t tried the Cerritos location. They are OG’s like Pho 79 and Trieu Chau who continue to dish out great food.

For many people this place is their first exposure to Cambodian food/culture. I grew up in Cerritos/Artesia/Bellflower area of LA County always had a few Cambodian friends. Had Cambodian food but I didn’t know it was Cambodian food I thought it was Chinese because the workers spoke Canto and some Mandarin. Later I learned it was Chinese-Cambodians running the place. I was pretty ignorant about Chinese diaspora in Southeast Asia tbh. I stayed away from Cambodia Town because I didn’t want to get hit up by someone from TRG, or ABZ or get a case of mistaken identity by a cholo. I cringe at the younger me with the extra long Boy Scout belt, white shirt, dickies and buzzed head with the slicked back bangs lol.

4 Likes