Pico Blvd - Best of

New name for Jamaica’s Cakes is Top Tier Desserts. They changed the name because they were often mistaken as a bakery specializing in Jamaican style cakes (don’t know what that is other than Johnny cakes).

3 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on the name change! Though top tier seems harder to remember.

1 Like

Exactly. I do admit the name Jamaica’s Cakes did confuse me at first. But they could have come up with a better replacement than Top Tier.

2 Likes

Bobs Market. Haven’t been in a while. I used to go because they were the one place that sold Sylvia’s Lemon Pepper, and I’d end up finding other great products. But they discontinued. Now I just order a box of it and give some to friends.

Redemption!

My sweetie knew I was bummed yesterday about our meal at My Two Cents (or whatever they’re calling it now), so he surprised me with this today…

Shrimp & Cheesy Grits

Crack! :heart_eyes: Ms. Alisa was cooking herself today. No picture, but the Oxtail Tacos were definitely up to par as well.

I guess it just depends on the day. I prefer weekends and they seem to be the most popular (the brunch is a lot of food). I’m not sure if M2C is a seeker destination. But if you happen to be in the neighborhood on a weekend it’s a go to.

:blush:

3 Likes

Top Tier just doesn’t have a good ring to it. I get the name but don’t feel any sense of place or time to it. Google “top tier” and the term’s definition appears, followed by Top Tier gas, some weird Twitter feed and a capital group with the same name. Oh well, time to rebuild name recognition I guess.

2 Likes

I was going to ask if you had those grits in their new place. Having really enjoyed that dish in their original place, I thought it was delicious. If that dish wasn’t up to par in their new place, then all hope would be lost.

1 Like

Agree - I had to yelp their name, as I couldn’t remember it either. “Tip Top” was the first thing that came to mind. After that, I had nothing.

1 Like

second brain fart of the list, I think - but Bobs is on Ocean Park!

2 Likes

Grey Block Pizza wins for worst pizzeria name ever, and the best salad pizza.

http://greyblockpizza.com/

2 Likes

El Texate is always good Oaxacan - best next to a gas station in LA County, I’d venture to say - and next to Vidiots of you need a video. They have a fantastic chile relleno and great rice and excellent moles. Last time I went, I tried to get the chile relleno but the waiter talked me into getting tongue with a mole - it was delicious! My friend got a note from the waiter in the form of a ceviche heart, I think. They had good but pricey mezcal. Secret - they let me bring my dogs to sit on the patio. :o)

2 Likes

Christ, what a terrific reminder - I haven’t been there for a quarter century. And not for any other reason than it kind of hides-in-plain sight/falls under [my] radar.

1 Like

No worries. I didn’t think the place was called Bob’s, but it’s had so many name changes I just went with it. At one time it was called Owens Market and it’s in Cheviot Hills area.

pray tell why?
i’m thinking of going to try it out tonight.

Vidiots is no more, my friend. Sorry.

1 Like

[quote=“J_L, post:7, topic:3893, full:true”]
Teriyaki House Pico, of course.
[/quote]My phone guy is cracking me up about this place right now.

It’s all about Awash and India sweets house for me lately.

Went to Awash for the first time a few wks ago. Loved it. Such vibrant flavors (although my chicken dish tasted a lot like a great stir fry [!]).

honestly we just do the fried fish and veg combo… i wonder if i can bring my own beer because their beer is not really going to work out for me again.

went to Jeff’s Sausage a few times when it opened and was happily surprised…last time i went(9 months ago) with a friend whom I’d told it was excellent…O well, the sausage was AWFUL! driest piece of meat id ever eaten…only finished because of principle! never again!