Pizza Mania

yeah, the hours…I have some friends in the pizza scene…give me a shout out anytime!

They used to be pretty awful, but they have fairly nice people working there now. Not always the brightest when trying to answer a basic question, but it’s more befuddlement than attitude.

1 Like

interesting Nemroz…I haven’t been to Joe’s in years…it went way down hill when they expanded…it was one of the 1st pizzerias I reviewed when I wrote for Slice/Serious Eats back in the day

this god damned thread, yeah, I started it, has me salivatin’ for pizza…might be going on a little crawl later! there goes another diet…

2 Likes

FIFY. ;-D

1 Like

I’m gonna say it but I think Desano might be best in LA… love for mozza tho.

1 Like

For me, if it’s Neapolitan, it’s basically a trifecta of DeSanso, Bestia and La Morra.

Mozza is in its own category.

Dough Box for Chicago style

Il Romanista for Roman style.

Zelo when I just want to say “fuck it” to style and tradition.

3 Likes

My two cents…IIRC you have young children. The hours you will spend on a pizza startup will mean missing their childhood. I faced this when my daughter was three; I was new in the entertainment industry and lucked into major features (okay it was nepotism not luck). I had commercial connections as well, but it didn’t pay like features and I hate selling things. Nevertheless I chose the commercial route so I could see my daughter grow up as working on features means at least 60 hour weeks 90 days at a time. It was worth it. She turned out to be someone I am proud of; I got to participate in her life, and I came to terms (more or less) with selling things. I wouldn’t trade seeing her move from cheerleading in first grade to acting in eighth grade to graduating college for working on 20 years of A-list movies… my two cents.

6 Likes

I like Desano the best as well.

1 Like

The lifestyle trade off is why I haven’t done it yet. This job allows me to have a very happy life with tons of family time. I drop kid off at school at 8, can join him for lunch and I’m home by 5:15 most days

1 Like

yeah, there was befuddlement, too…Like even though you’re wearing an apron, and obviously work there, you don’t understand why I would ask you something about the menu…
duh!

they’re up there!

god damn it! I went down to Il Romanista yesterday around 6pm and, of course, they were closed…damn, I want a couple slices!

1 Like

Well, you weren’t so far from Grimaldi’s!!!

I got in the car a couple of Sundays ago and started heading there and then I decided I should look up their hours and saw they were closed on Sundays. Yes, closed on the best traffic day of the week :cry:

1 Like

e, I won’t just check a heart. You’ve made a profound statement. Thank you for what you did and for speaking up. Best always, C

2 Likes

close to Grimaldi’s but I was hopin’ to limit pizza intake so wanted Romanista slices…not to mention I haven’t been there yet…and yep, no traffic…so it goes

1 Like

Me too.

Anyone try this place (though I think it just opened) ??

http://pizzaprovami.com/
7407 W Melrose Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90046

(Photos from Yelp)

1 Like

Well, its Vito Iacopelli’s place)of Prova on SM Blvd…which is excellent and it looks like he’s offering many varieties of pizza that look great!

1 Like

Glad he opened a different shop, I was pretty sad when the prova shop closed on Santa Monica

1 Like