Pizzeria Mozza

When I was practically raising my son at the pizza bar (Nancy likes children, he would do homework and she gave him little snacks while we waited for our food), the crust was great and the pizza wasn’t soggy at all. The Margherita had a wet center, which I like, so I’m not sure what you’re talking about.

And there were no lines if you went early.

What kind of pizza do you like?

I like a wide variety of pizza styles. All else being equal I prefer crisp crust, but I also enjoy traditional Neapolitan so long as it’s made and cooked properly.

Interesting conversation.

I’ve never noticed the soupy or soggy crust. This might be a tomato based pie dilemma. I tend to eat the Funghi Misti or the Egg Potato. The Funghi has the opposite problem - it gets stiff and chewy if you don’t indulge right away.

I’m a pizza liker not lover and certainly no expert on crust, but I :heart: Mozza’s pizza. IMO the dough has definitely changed. It has better flavor, more pliable, but still has good crunch.

From what I’ve seen and read, Nancy Silverton has developed the dough over time, tweaking it for improvement. The crust is her own style. I don’t think she changed it to cater to a certain customer base, but I could be wrong.

:wine_glass: :pizza:

The soggy crust I had was ten years ago. She’s clearly changed the recipe a lot.

I suspect the dough may have changed, too, but I recall reading that there were some struggles with “calibrating” the oven and training the pizzaioli in the early days.

1 Like

I know the dough changed not only because it’s no longer tasteless and soggy, but also because on the Chef’s Table episode about Nancy Silverton, Batali talked about how long she worked on the dough.

That episode of chef’s table implied that all that work was done before pizzeria Mozza was opened.
#watchagain

1 Like

That pizza is so high on my list of things to eat before I die dramatically in a fiery car crash.

Is it not as good now?

It was. She is a somewhat obsessive person, but in a good way. Very focused, for which we are grateful. :slight_smile:

Wow, Robert. Are you sure you were at Mozza? Your recollection is too funny.

Still great, just not as great.

1 Like

I once had the rare privilege of having pizza made by Nancy herself. Disclosure, Peter Reinhart has been a close friend for 38 years. He was in town trying to start up a cooking show about pizza. He invited my wife and myself to Pizzeria Mozza as part of the pitch. Nancy was extremely gracious and it was the best pizza I have ever had, although Peter’s grilled pizza isn’t far behind. Peter’s website, Pizza Quest with Peter Reinhart - A journey of self-discovery through pizza.. He didn’t succeed in getting the show, but I had some wonderful pizza (and a parking ticket - don’t park on Melrose after 4)!

7 Likes

There was no change in the recipe of her dough. I know this from speaking with her personally.

So unless you’re calling her liar …

Maybe it’s this. I definitely enjoy the crust more now than when Mozza first opened, so…

I’ll ask her next time I see her. Maybe Batali was talking about tweaking she did before the place opened.

The crust I had this year was much better than the ones I had ten years ago, but that could have been due to inconsistent execution.

Spotted Dustin Hoffman here, i asked him how many more minutes to judge wapner.

prosciutto di parma, mozzarella di bufala
Pro tip: save some prosciutto for the cornicione.
pizzeria_mozza_20180819_181643

(new) roasted tomato, mozzarella di bufala, spicy anchovy, agrumato lemon
Wow, flavor bomb of umami #fbomb. This had so much flavor and monosodium glutamate it made flavor flav jealous. Loved the brightness of the argumato lemon. Highlight of the night.
pizzeria_mozza_20180819_181545

eggplant, parmigiano, ricotta, mozzarella, tomato, basil
pizzeria_mozza_20180819_081549

coconut sorbetto pie, hot fudge, salted almonds
pizzeria_mozza_20180819_182207

19 Likes

Camera broke before hitting the head, the loo, the men’s, the Jack’s?

I must of had a brain fart

This may the first time ever someone has ever been inspired to visit a restaurant solely on the basis that the toilet photo was missing from someone else’s review… But yes, I admit, here is the shot of the Holy Pail…

p.s. Food wasn’t bad ,either.
p.s.s. No smell of brain farts in the air whatsoever.

8 Likes

i’m glad somebody gives a shit. thanks for rectifying my blunder.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t ever want to waste the opportunity!

1 Like