Pok Pok LA - No...Just, No

Nice catch - yes, there. Here too much. :no_mouth:

1 Like

“t’was I. It’s sorta like the N word. You can only say it if you aren’t white. Jews are white.”

Actually Tony, jews didn’t used to be considered white. I grew up in the midwest and we were considered “Ethnic” I lived two blocks from a country club we were NOT allowed to join. Now, decades later, things have changed. But I remember when.

One more story for you. Before I was born, my parents moved to a suburb of Pittsburgh, really lovely middle class street, nice folks, all the kids played together. But, my mom was the first jewish person the gal (who lived in one of the original homes on the street, a converted farmhouse) had ever met. And she met my mom, welcomed her and then looked at her very curiously. She pointed to my mom’s short 60’s pixie hairdo and asked “But where are your horns?”

They ended up being fantastic neighbors. But there was that moment : )

P.S. Bringing it back to food, their house was the first place I ever had boston brown bread, steamed in a coffee can, cooled then sliced and served with cream cheese. Yum!

4 Likes

That’s a nice story !

1 Like

However did your mother respond to this??

Bookwich -

My mom was a very charming and understanding woman. The story goes that she smiled, told the gal it was an old wives tale and tilted her head forward, so the neighbor could see she had no horns.

Knowing my mom, she probably then pointed out something lovely about the gals house or yard to compliment her and thus change the subject as well so that they both could move on.

7 Likes

Great @Happybaker -

My mom liked to tell essentially the same story about us being first of a kind to move into a restricted neighborhood. Insert different ethnicity, different city and there you are. People are usually prejudiced against those they’ve never met. After initial awkwardness most humans can find common ground.

God Bless America.

1 Like

Your mommy sounds great.

1 Like

You can buy Andy Ricker’s tears for 399k.

3 Likes

Dunkirk. Ricker’s the British. You’re the Germans. :wink:

Whether it’s worth that depends on the terms of the lease, but the liquor license alone is worth something like $75K.

That sounds low when compared to current prevailing market prices on liquor licenses.

1 Like

Maybe so, I just went online and found an ad for a type 47 in Los Angeles County.

Think double that.

price chop $275K. Liq license exp 6/30/17.

I’d recognize that nose anywhere. Please say you’re back.

1 Like