Post Your Daily Sandwich

The seating is more abundant as well. Great location.

1 Like

i was unclear. was talking about the doneness of the meat. from pics posted it looks like it may vary from sandwich to sandwich.

It doesn’t really vary all that much, they don’t ask you for how you want it done since it’s coming off a roast. I suppose you could ask for an end slice if you want something more well done

The prime rib butcher is so simple. They take amazing bread, throw on some olive oil and grill it to give it a slight char. The prime rib is sliced thinly, and I believe (not positive) dunked in an au jus to warm it up. So it has the crunchy, slightly charred bread to stand up to the lusciously moist prime rib that nests insides. The whole thing is sprinkled with coarse black pepper and some sort of finishing salt (I think Maldon, but not certain). Microplaned horseradish is either added on top or served on the side. Pure fuckin genius. You get pure, unadulterated horseradish flavor tempered in harshness by simply serving it incredibly thin.

Now I gotta get over to Gjusta. That picture @PorkyBelly posted and now @Hungrydrunk fault.

5 Likes

And please eat it there. I got it to go once, and it was not the same sandwich even after a short ride.

5 Likes

Wait, I think @A5KOBE is asking for more pics (and excuses) to go to Gjusta. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I just got back from NY and have dozens of bagels and bialys so I think a stop at Gjusta is in order. A smoked fish platter with their amazing condiments sounds great while chugging on a few beers and watching football.

Life would be less enjoyable without Gjusta. :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

The anchovy toast has evaded me. I ordered it last time and they omitted it for some reason. Thanks for reminding me to persist next time and specifically order that first.

1 Like

No photos - we were hungry! - but the falafel sandwich on the baked-to-order lafa from Joe’s Falafel in Studio City. Perfect combination of crunchy falafel, cool and crisp veggies, good amount of hummus, drizzling of their garlicky tahini, and that warm and pillowy lafa.

One of my favorite sandwiches (at least I think of it as a sandwich!) and it does not travel well.

Http://www.joesfalafel.net/

6 Likes

I been a fool for that “sandwich” for years:

1 Like

Too lazy to drive to Brent’s for a pastrami rueben so got one to go from Uncle Bernies in Encino.

Gotta say, surprised at how good it was. $14.95. Salt bomb but hey, what do you expect.

5 Likes

Hot pastrami with mustard and provolone on Italian roll. You have to stop at Sorrentos to pick it up, then stop and fill your tank at the gas station on the way home, because that way, by the time you get back, it has all melded together to be perfect. (As explained to me by E. when I offered to bring him a sandwich.)

5 Likes

Pastrami sandwich at The Ugly Drum at Smorgasborg. Did he change the bread? The rye seems to have a nice crunchy crust now.

7 Likes

That is stunning. I’ve noticed the trend lately is for deli-style pastrami sandwiches. We never ate those growing up, it was always a Rueben or egg salad/chicken salad if we went to a deli and pastrami sandwiches came from Italian places.

Eggplant parmesan sandwich from Romeo’s Pizza in Pasadena: http://www.romeos-pizzeria.com/.

The marinara is chunky and the eggplant is not breaded. We really like it.

8 Likes

[quote=“Bookwich, post:344, topic:3052”]
pastrami sandwiches came from Italian places.
[/quote]I never heard of pastrami being an Italian thing. But I have noticed people are more into it than corned beef these days. When I younger, corned beef seemed to be the popular sandwich at delis.

It’s not really. But I too associate it with Italian delis because that’s where we got it growing up (i.e., as a cold cut). I didn’t experience real pastrami from Jewish delis until I went back East for college.

1 Like

maybe naming it properly? an aioli is garlic pounded in a pestle to which olive oil (and maybe egg) is added and is served as a dip.

what they have is a bastardized emulsion which may be tasty but is NOT aioli.

and adding garlic to mayo does not make it an aioli either; mayo typically uses an neutral flavored oil (other than olive) for the emulsion.

spent too much time studying french cooking to let that slide.

1 Like

Uh yeah… when I wrote how I made aioli to put on top of my homemade soup, I also put in parentheses “(meaning veganaise & crushed garlic)”. I was making fun of myself for cheating. I’ve made enough real aioli to give myself a break on a busy weeknight.

4 Likes

this reminds me of when tom collichio kept harping on some poor chef who made coq au vin and had the temerity to not use a (gasp,faint) vintage rooster.

picking pepper out of fly shit.

6 Likes