Post Your Daily Sandwich

Pastrami sandwich at The Ugly Drum at Smorgasborg. Did he change the bread? The rye seems to have a nice crunchy crust now.

7 Likes

That is stunning. I’ve noticed the trend lately is for deli-style pastrami sandwiches. We never ate those growing up, it was always a Rueben or egg salad/chicken salad if we went to a deli and pastrami sandwiches came from Italian places.

Eggplant parmesan sandwich from Romeo’s Pizza in Pasadena: http://www.romeos-pizzeria.com/.

The marinara is chunky and the eggplant is not breaded. We really like it.

8 Likes

[quote=“Bookwich, post:344, topic:3052”]
pastrami sandwiches came from Italian places.
[/quote]I never heard of pastrami being an Italian thing. But I have noticed people are more into it than corned beef these days. When I younger, corned beef seemed to be the popular sandwich at delis.

It’s not really. But I too associate it with Italian delis because that’s where we got it growing up (i.e., as a cold cut). I didn’t experience real pastrami from Jewish delis until I went back East for college.

1 Like

maybe naming it properly? an aioli is garlic pounded in a pestle to which olive oil (and maybe egg) is added and is served as a dip.

what they have is a bastardized emulsion which may be tasty but is NOT aioli.

and adding garlic to mayo does not make it an aioli either; mayo typically uses an neutral flavored oil (other than olive) for the emulsion.

spent too much time studying french cooking to let that slide.

1 Like

Uh yeah… when I wrote how I made aioli to put on top of my homemade soup, I also put in parentheses “(meaning veganaise & crushed garlic)”. I was making fun of myself for cheating. I’ve made enough real aioli to give myself a break on a busy weeknight.

4 Likes

this reminds me of when tom collichio kept harping on some poor chef who made coq au vin and had the temerity to not use a (gasp,faint) vintage rooster.

picking pepper out of fly shit.

6 Likes

Very interesting! I’ve noticed that GTA/Gjusta’s aioli is much lighter than what gets described elsewhere as “aioli.” I assumed they were departing from tradition somehow but it looks like the opposite might be true.

1 Like

I haven’t had Gjusta yet. But that’s another thing to :white_check_mark: in the superior food column. Making it emulsify properly without the egg yolk is more labor intensive. Especially if you do it by hand. I don’t know if Gjusta does, but still pretty impressive. Some cultures think the egg is a cheat. But the French have been using egg, as well as mustard for quite some time… I think. I like it because I’m a mayo addict. But beware, the non-egg one usually has a lot more garlic, so eat your mints :mask:.

1 Like

No photos, but ended up at Marie Callender’s the other night (don’t ask!). As I had a head cold I ordered a tuna melt (when I have congestion I crave tuna; yes, it makes no sense). Received one of the most disappointing tuna melts I’ve ever been served: it was refrigerator-cold!

All the components were right: grilled cheese bread with cheese melted on the inside, sliced tomatoes, and a goodly amount of tuna salad. It was freshly made - not at all soggy - and so very damn cold! Best guess is that the bread had been grilled and the cheese melted on it earlier and everything was slapped together right from the fridge.

Server disappeared and manager was absent, so I ended up boxing up the sandwich and bringing it home because I was so disappointed I lost my appetite.

Oddly, it made a tasty meal the next day. I ate it cold.

(Btw, they offer tater tots as a side - those were served piping hot.)

4 Likes

My high school boyfriend was an exchange student from Barcelona. When I visited him and his family, his mother taught me how to make allioli - grind garlic cloves with a little salt with mortar and pestle, add one egg yolk, and drizzle in a very virgin olive oil, stirring madly until it all comes together. I ate it by the spoonful!

5 Likes

I still like their pies though :blush:.

1 Like

Bravo! Yes, the stirring madly while drizzling oil is the tough part. But a bigger sense of accomplishment than a food processor :relieved:. At the end you’re like “Wow… I made that!”

1 Like

there’s so much wrong with this

4 Likes

I’d been wondering about Gjusta: Can you make adjustments to the sandwiches or is it no modifications as at Gjelina? It looks like you ordered the horseradish on the side…

Thanks for the report back @ElsieDee. Bummer about Marie Callender’s. Hope you feel better soon!

2 Likes

I don’t think they have a problem with modifications but I think this was a pretty basic sandwich. Yes, I did get some on the side because I was afraid of it overpowering the meat . I was pleasantly surprised on how well it complemented the sandwich. It is a very delicious sandwich

I learned to make Cuban food and Persian food from boyfriends’ mothers. That’s how you know they accept and like you - they let you in the kitchen. :wink:

[quote=“Bookwich, post:361, topic:3052”]
That’s how you know they accept and like you
[/quote]I have an American friend (a New Yorker) who lived in Mexico for a spell. Her Mexican boyfriend’s mother tried to teach her how to make beans, unsuccessfully. She overheard her tell a female relative in Spanish “He’ll never marry her. She can’t cook beans.”

7 Likes