POSTMATES L.A.=crap?

Answer seems to be YES, at least for most of yelp posters (and for yours truly too) :

https://www.yelp.com/biz/postmates-los-angeles-5?start=160

I’ve had very good experiences. I regularly get night market and luv2eat delivered, and it works out fine

1 Like

As with any business reliant on the powerful combination of 1099’s and VC money, it’s a crapshoot.

I would rather order 800 Degrees from UberEats, than Lodge pizza from Postmates. They are so incredibly inconsistent, and have such bad customer service, that it amazes me they are still in business.

I have been using Postmates about 5 times a week for over a year and think it’s a great service. I have few complaints. Not many people are going to go on Yelp to post a good review about Postmates; just disgruntled people. I am not aware of any service with such an extended delivery area (though I have noticed that Postmates is cracking down on long deliveries).

Agree. I regularly get Luv2eat and Night + Market delivered to Culver City, which is amazing.

1 Like

No way! That would be worth the $15 to $20 delivery/fee/tip.

I get annoyed when they decide to charge me $8 to deliver coffee from a place 10 blocks away. Those fees are out of control. But I agree it’s pretty great when you don’t feel like driving to far-off places.

So what I did was sign up for this new thing they’re offering where for 9.99 a month, all deliveries are free for orders over $20. So I’ll order 25 worth of food from night market, end up paying like 35 all in between tip and fees, and for $10 extra I’ve avoided a nightmare drive to West Hollywood. A few deliveries a month easily makes up for it.

1 Like

I did that for a while, but then I started cooking a lot, so it wasn’t really worth it. Now that my mood has changed to eating out or ordering in a lot (heat wave), it may be worth it again.

I’ve been getting Postmates from Night + Market as well and they’ve been consistent for me. Pizzeria Mozza also been pretty good.

Sqirl is also really good. Helps to not have to stand in that line on weekends…

Here’s a list of my favorite Postmates restaurants (I live in DTLA):

Breakfast – Sqirl, Urth Caffe
Chinese – Szechuan Impression, Chengdu Taste, Pine & Crane, Hop Li, Peking Tavern
Cuban – Versailles, El Cochinito
Ethiopian – Meals by Genet, Palm Grove
Greek – Le Petit Greek, Papa Cristos
Indian – Spice Affair, Manas, Samosa House Sunset
Indonesian – Simpang Asia
Italian – Sotto, Alimento, Terroni, Jon & Vinny’s
Japanese – Matsuhisa
Mexican – Chichen Itza, Border Grill
Middle Eastern – Marouch, Carousel
Peruvian – Los Balcones del Peru
Pizza – Pizzeria Mozza, Vito’s
Thai – Jitlada, Palms, Luv2Eat
Vegetarian – Cafe Gratitude

3 Likes

My typical Matsuhisa, Angelini,…/Postmates result.

Delivery Cancelled
Sorry, your Postmates order has been cancelled. Matsuhisa is too busy to take orders. You won’t be charged.
For more details see our Help Center.

Szechuan Impression and Chengdu Taste are on there?!? I live closer to USC so maybe out of my range, but will check it out today…My only beef with postmates is that sometimes their online menus are very dated. Restaurants end up cancelling because they don’t serve some of the dishes anymore.

I order on average 4-5 times a week. Cancellations because a restaurant is too busy to take order occur rarely for me (less than 10% of the time). That said, I often order early in the evening. I would be understandable if a busy restaurant declined to do a takeout order on Friday at 8 p.m. That’s not Postmates fault.

The online menus are often outdated or corrupted. Postmates do a poor job with quality control of the online menus.

But, you can enter your own menu items. That’s what you need to do with Szechuan Impression and Jitlada.

Szechuan Impression and Chengdu Taste have been 100% reliable for me, though often phone calls are required to clarify the order and address missing menu items. I think the reliability is due to the fact that not many people order delivery from the SGV so the Postmates drivers out there are really eager to make it work.

But that’s a restaurant issue, not a Postmates issue. The restaurant declined the takeout order.

It never happened to me using same restaurants but different delivery services like Doordash.[

lots of variables here including whether or not they are a partner restaurant. some restaurants don’t even know they’re on DD.