Ramen roll

Thanks will check them out if I’m ever near them. Never heard of them prior to this mention. The $5 POTD at 800 Degrees is still a great lunch. The Pasadena branch is the one I frequent and still very good.

This is a picture of ramen from Ramen Roll is from a food blogger I follow on IG. Posted today. Reminds me of when you get the burger from McD or BK and compare to the burger on the commercial. Scroll up and compare that to Pork Belly’s picture. Night and day.

There are 2 sizes though, small and amuse bouche.

1 Like

I wasn’t comparing the sizes of the bowl. Look at the color of the broth. One looks vibrant and delicious the other looks like old dirty bath water. The picture I posted looks appetizing. The picture Pork Belly posted would make me not want to eat ramen ever again.

Can’t trust the media.

2 Likes

So do “these people” get paid to shill for crappy restaurants? #fakenews

I would say it looks slightly more appetizing. It still doesn’t even look that great.

The IG shot doesn’t even look that good to me, but yes. Anyone with a popular IG or blog or whatever gets comped meals and particular attention paid to them for sure.

It’s almost nicer to be just an FTCer because you never get that fake treatment. Even though comped meals is probably cool I guess.

1 Like

Not just comped, but better.

Sorry, that’s what I meant by “particular attention paid to them”.

More attention from the kitchen to the food = better than average.

Good if you’re the IG gal or blogger or w/e, but shitty if you’re anyone else going expecting the same experience.

Popular IG’ers are absolutely the most hilarious people in the food media realm, although they are also sort of the most pernicious as well. I follow a couple almost for the lolz because they will go to places I have been to and know are actually incredibly mediocre to just plain horrible and shill for them (or maybe they just have that horrible of taste? lol idk) but I have to hand it to them, they set up the photos with extreme precision and photoshopping (and it feels like 7/10 times it’s some rail thin, semi-cute Asian chick holding the food in her hands as well).

But people eat that shit up. My dream is one day to get an answer to one of my comments about how terrible one of the hyper-stylized dishes is from one of these people, although I know it is mostly just a sardonic dream.

Back in the day people who were getting comped would generally state this in their review. I don’t think this practice is followed anymore. So like you I just assume anybody who has a blog, IG, social media post of any restaurant is being comped and taken care of. That is why I only trust the crazy people on FTC when it comes to restaurant reviews.

7 Likes

Deathwatch Phase 2 initiated: http://la.eater.com/2017/3/1/14767072/tentenyu-ramen-culver-city-open

3 Likes

The link goes to an article about Tentenyu…?

Ie, tentenyu will drive ramen roll out of business

Also, the Infatuation, which generally likes everything, just told people to avoid it in their latest update.

With a 4 out of 10 from the infatuation (slightly above the worst ranked restaurant SUR), and a glowing 3.3 stars on yelp, Deathwatch phase 3 has commenced.

https://www.theinfatuation.com/los-angeles/reviews/ramen-roll

3 Likes

Your morning schadenfreude fix:

Heavy Metal Acoustic (no “Amplifications”) from 2/27/2017

Look at that detritus in the broth. The smell was offputting. Smelled of sweaty funk–not good funk. Noodles were mush.

This place is a money grab with no soul. Good riddance.

what the hell is that on the right? chicken?

Yes

Yo! That is some nauseous stuff right there. That is the result of aiming low and then going downhill from there.

4 Likes

Where is the love? That is some sad looking nori too.

3 Likes