Random Thoughts & Questions

Ah, a party :slight_smile:

1 Like

25 lbs? I don’t think so ! Huntington’s did just hook me up with a big roll of butcher paper for wrapping

1 Like

Come!

6 Likes

Oh wow! But we’re on the road to Seattle. Leftover lamb and orzo MWd tonight. But chicken feet for Christmas Eve Breakfast! Bon appetit.

1 Like

Croissant lovers, this place is now open at the Tokyo Central on Artesia & Western in Gardena:

3 Likes

Hi, an update re the horrible antibiotics. I ended up eating congee (thank you, @TheCookie) and baked potatoes and bananas. No dairy, wheat, fiber or fats, and I felt much more normal. Thank you for all the input! That was a tough week. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Glad to hear you’re feeling better, @Bookwich!

2 Likes

Anyone been here?

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuH7HBFhMw6/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=8bzop6p4c7an

https://instagram.com/kra_z_kais_bbq?utm_source=ig_profile_share&igshid=b1vl1nut96na

4 Likes

Those are some tasty lookin’ sausages

Looks good! Definitely a bit of a drive from LA. Found their site with menu!
http://www.krazkais.com/

:drooling_face:

Seeing the new cookie place where Ink used to be made me wonder… What in the heck happened to Ink and Ink Sack? It was like M. Voltaggio was poised to take over L.A. then just faded away. I don’t understand the business model of some young-ish chefs. It’s like a case of restaurant ADHD. Roy Choi seems to have the same problem.

In the case of Voltaggio, isn’t it because avant garde and fine dining are tough games to play in LA/OC? He even changed the concept midway. I never got a chance to try his dine-in, but I loved the sandwiches at InkSack…but I neither worked nor lived in the area to patronize it like a regular.

1 Like

Could be the avant-garde thing. I know I was put off by them not listing the menu on their website for a good while. How obscure do you want to be? Plus his Top Chef persona didn’t exactly enamor me. But we loved ink.sack and they seemed really busy.

The packaging and labeling were great for party trays.

I just looked it up. They went from ink.sack to Sack. :thinking: I guess that was a more mainstream name for the LAX locale. See what I mean about restaurant ADHD? They’re in such a hurry to reach new heights.

Yeah but how many times have we seen new restaurants being ho-hummed because they are offering the same old thing and nothing new. No wonder so many ventures are willing to fly something up that’s somewhat unique and then try to fix it in the air if it doesn’t work.

1 Like

except (most) of RC’s ventures are still going strong

1 Like

They were struggling. Reservations wide open Friday and Saturday night. Rent prices going up and up. A highly labor intensive style of cooking.

The truth is the restaurant business is very hard. Voltaggio was the hot new thing for a while–and I thought a lot of the food at Ink was quite good–but it’s hard for places to maintain popularity and justify their price points. For every Bestia or Mozza or Angelini Osteria, there are dozens that can’t do it.

2 Likes

Oh, yes. So true. I think Commerson on La Brea is a good example of that. The Eater LA article was so condescending when they first opened. Floating terms like “safe-as-can-be menu”. The “no-name chef” comment (now changed to “unnamed”) really tickled me. A “no-name chef”! Oh the horror! I compared the menu to other vaunted restaurants around town at the time, including Republique. News flash! They were all serving the same thing. Some doing it to a more elevated degree, yes, but come on. Anyway, they prevailed and a year later Eater LA put it on their 20 Most Underrated List, calling it “A hidden gem”. Yes, inter-changing chefs can lead to change in consistency at times. But we’ve always had good meals and drinks there. The service is top notch. The pastry chef (if she’s still there) does outstanding desserts. Do you want to come to La Brea to eat at Commerson over Republique? Probably not. But we like having them in our un-trendy part of La Brea.

It’s called Cookie but is a pot dispensary. The Voltaggio brothers are also doing STRFSH on the Third Street Promenade. I’ve been a handful of times but haven’t seen either brother there so not sure how involved they are.

1 Like

Yep, I’m not a Choi detractor and am always rooting for him. But he seems to have a frenetic energy, short attention span, trying new project after new project (restaurant or otherwise). And he has had his share of failures resulting in ‘new beginnings’. His Instagram posts are all over the place and confusing. But…