Red Lobster biscuit mix - don't laugh, they're good. Promise

We had planned on some family coming in and I bought this mix. It wound up not happening due to weather - whew, have we ever had WEATHER. But I cooked them a couple of days ago. They’re good, folks. Honestly. And all you need is grated cheese, butter and water.

1 Like

We buy it come Costco. It’s been used for holiday dinners and it’s amazing! Fresh out of the oven, and I can probably eat 3-4 of them without realizing that I’m inhaling them until it’s too late and I’ve carbo-loaded.

1 Like

Costco for us also. Try this. Cut in half, spread a little butter and then sliced (I use) Cheddar. Put under the broiler - toaster oven works great. I grew up in the South where there were always leftover biscuits around. I called them “toasted cheese bubbly biscuits.” LOL

3 Likes

A lot of MSG in them so they should taste good

I don’t see MSG but maybe it goes by another name. But I have no problems with MSG, even keep a little bag on hand. Its ills have finally been completely debunked.

2 Likes

Just fyi - here’s what they look like (not my photo)

No MSG.

Enriched Bleached Flour (Wheat Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamin Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Malted Barley Flour, May Contain Enzymes, Ascorbic Acid), Palm Oil, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oils, Contains 2% or Less of the Following: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Whey, Salt, Dextrose, Soy Lecithin, Buttermilk, Soy Flour, Ascorbic Acid, Enzymes. Garlic Herb Blend Ingredients: Garlic Powder, Maltodextrin, Salt, Onion Powder, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Torula Yeast, Dehydrated Parsley, Malic Acid, Sugar, Natural and Artificial Flavors (Maltodextrin, Butter Oil), Silicon Dioxide (Anti-Caking Agent)

Torula yeast is MSG

Nope. From thespruce.com

"What Makes Torula Yeast Unique?
Edible torula yeast grows on wood alcohols. When deactivated and dried, it looks like a tan powder and can be packaged and sold in health and nutrition stores.

Because it is rich in glutamic acid, torula yeast lends a smoky, savory umami taste-profile to foods. It is an increasingly common flavoring additive in processed specialty foods such as chips, seasoning blends, and crackers.

Because of its meaty taste, it’s often used as an additive to pet food. Because it contains high levels of nutrients such as zinc, vitamin B, and amino acids, it is sometimes used as a supplement for puppies.

As veganism and vegetarianism have grown in popularity, food producers began using torula yeast to mimic the flavor of meat (in veggie burgers, for example) without adding any animal products.

Torula yeast has also become a popular replacement for the flavor enhancer monosodium glutamate (MSG) among manufacturers marketing “all-natural” products. MSG, in powdered form, was used for decades to enhance the flavor of meats, sauces, and other dishes. But MSG is a chemical additive with no nutritional value, making it a questionable food for many people interested in natural nutrition. Perhaps more significantly, it can also cause mild or severe allergic reactions including headache and disorientation.

Torula yeast does many of the same things that MSG did for many different foods. It ensures that flavor and aroma are not lost during the cooking process. It also improves the texture and flavor of many foods ranging from sauces to chips to soup.

Like all yeasts, torula also adds a good deal of nutrition to foods. It can also thicken foods such as protein shakes and dips. "

And who cares if it IS MSG.

torula yeast, like hyrolyzed yeast, yeast extracts contains glutamic acid.
And many ingredients contain MSG (mushrooms, tomatoes, parmesan etc) but if you have a dish which doesn’t contain natural occurring MSG and you add MSG, at least for me, that is a clear sign that somebody is trying to make a really crappy dish barely edible

Or give an already really good dish a little extra umami.

Glutamic acid is not monosodium glutamate.

That biscuit mix isn’t made from first-rate ingredients. No such mix that’s shelf-stable can be. Personally I don’t buy anything containing partially hydrogenated fat.

I generally cook from scratch but when I have our kids and grands in I’m forcing myself to cut some corners. When you have little ones who need baths and in bed by 730/800… And, hell, they taste darn good :slight_smile: And my lousy husband needs to gain weight!!!

1 Like

It’s easy to make your own mix from real food and keep it in the freezer.

Good point! I’ll check out those copycat recipes. At my AGE and with grands, I’m working to not make everything food related quite as labor intensive. Lucky to have a competent mate and kids.

Glutamic acid and glutames are in equilibrium depending on the pH. In your body is a wide range of pH with different ratios of glutamic acid and glutamate.