Republique - Stunning Brunch, Lunch & Pastries Galore [Thoughts + Pics]

I was trying not to be a glutton since I got this as well.

8 Likes

I like how you feature different kinds of teas, lattes, etc. in your restaurant reports @Chowseeker1999.

1 Like

Today’s haul

Cornetti, Matcha Raspberry Bostock, Strawberry I don’t know what, Kouign Amann

Kouign Amann’s Sticky Caramelized Undercarriage :kissing_closed_eyes:

I had a feeling I was going to part with you on this one @Chowseeker1999. :relaxed: I get what you’re saying about the Cornetti. It doesn’t “gel” in the sense the sugary, buttery, flakey, layered shell can’t hold any of the filling inside. It starts oozing at the touch. But I liked it. :blush: It’s small enough to not be a complete mess or overwhelmingly rich. I like the liquid-y custard they put inside this one. And I don’t know if it’s on purpose, but I particularly like that the custard was cool inside. I’m going to have to go with your description on the Bostock because it’s better than mine. “Wave of Japanese Matcha Tea flavors hits your palate, followed by the tartness of Raspberries, mellowed by the moist Bostock Brioche-like base. I loved the nuttiness of the Almonds as well.” :wink:

All four were really great. My favorites today were the Cornetti and the Strawberry pastry. It was custard, sweet & tart strawberries, soft crumbly crunch on top of danish-type pastry. It was de-licious. :kissing_closed_eyes:

Still no Key Lime Pie for me yet…

8 Likes

Hi @TheCookie,

Nice pastry haul! :slight_smile: Yah we’re still looking out for the key lime pie as well. :wink: But wait, where’s the Creme Brulee Bomboloni?! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Nope, I wanted to switch it up and get a few things from your last report. :wink:

2 Likes

http://foodtalkcentral.com/t/manzke-republique-and-profile/9438

Thank you for your extensive reports! I’m headed to Republique for the first time tomorrow for breakfast. The Austrian pancake is calling my name! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Hi @chinchi,

Nice! Make sure you get a Creme Brulee Bomboloni as well. One of Pastry Chef Margarita Manzke’s best creations. :slight_smile: (And their Lemon Poppyseed Load (Tea Cake)!)

2 Likes

If anyone leans towards the savory side for breakfast, the mushroom toast is always spot on, though extremely rich. (Big mushroom fan here.) Also, tough to go wrong with any choice from the baked goods case, but the Bomboloni is on a whole different level. (Though my heart generally belongs to the frosted doughnut of the day/week – whatever the frosting of the moment is, it will always be delicious and subtle, whether berry, lemon, or “plain” vanilla.)

3 Likes

The Basque cheesecake they have right now is quite good.

3 Likes

République was a lovely setting for a family breakfast, but I wasn’t too taken with the food itself. The Austrian pancake was much too sweet for my liking, and more pudding-like in texture than I anticipated. The goat cheese omelette was fine, nothing more. My brother’s “regular breakfast” spread looked hearty (I’m eating pescatarian which limits my choices). I ordered the matcha raspberry bostock to-go, and already tucked in. My favorite of the items I tried today. I have a caprese sandwich to enjoy on the plane trip home.

5 Likes

That “regular” breakfast is the only thing my husband ever orders because he’s a traditional kind of guy. I’ve tried bites of it and it’s solid. I’ve ventured out and tried an assortment of things, the mushroom toast is pretty good, but super rich. One of my favorites doesn’t meet your dietary requirements…the short rib kimchi rice bowl…pair that with the passion fruit cream pie and it’s a fantastic brunch pairing.

2 Likes

Thanks for the report @chinchi. Bummer that the dishes you tried weren’t on point.

I didn’t know what dietary restrictions you had, sorry. As others have mentioned some standouts on the savory side would be like the mushroom toast, their Bolognese pasta (wonderful), their dry-aged burger, the kimchi bowl. Then their pastries like the creme brulee bomboloni is ridiculous, a slice of one of Margarita Manzke’s pies like @attran99 mentioned (their Mango Pie was amazing!), their Raspberry Cream Puff as well.

1 Like

I’m newly (~6 months) pescatarian. Normally I would have been all about that mushroom toast but it comes with house cured ham. Sounds delicious! Given the pie cred, maybe I should have tried the quiche. Next time :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

That mushroom toast is so good as is the salmon tartine. Or just have pie for breakfast becuz YOLO! :joy:

3 Likes

#SageAdvice

I can’t wait until this pie is back in season.

8 Likes

That was so good! Loved Pastry Chef Margarita Manzke’s Mango & Passion Fruit Pie.

2 Likes

This looks way better than advocado toast

5 Likes

Walter Manske was struck by a car and hospitalized. It seems like he’s be ok.

On a positive note, his wife was nominated for a James Beard award.

2 Likes