Restaurant Openings in San Diego 2015

Lots of new places imminently opening. Pokirrito (Convoy), Vigilante Brewing (Del Mar), The Taco Stand (La Jolla), One Door North (North Park), and Fireside by the Patio (Liberty Station).

Maybe a new thread title is needed?

Cucina Sorella should open in April/May

Drove by the old Ken Grill space last night. It is currently boarded up for renovations. Expected opening is later this Spring.

I believe you once took it upon yourself to start an appropriate thread. Here is your chance to repeat.

You mean this one?

Me thinks people (moi included) just can’t discern the difference between 5 and 6.

Can’t wait.

Char House just opened up off of Balboa, in between Convoy and Ruffner next to the Chevron station. I’ll echo what Kirk tweeted out this morning in that it’s the best pho I’ve had in Kearny Mesa. Super super beefy broth, but still very bright (if I have one complaint it’s a tad sweet which is weird), and they’re not stingy at all with the cow parts. Seriously though, the broth is unlike any other pho broth I’ve had, in a good way. Curious to also try their other stuff… the shrimp spring rolls were delicious, but I also want to try their meat skewers and some of their house specials.

1 Like

I’m on my way, ASAP. Probably tomorrow.

What kind of pho did you have?

I just got the pho dac biet. Normally I’m more of a bo kho (beef stew) kind of person, but whenever I’m trying to judge a new Vietnamese restaurant I just go for the everything pho to establish a baseline and to see how they treat their broth.

I’m also a fan of pho bo kho, but will order the pho dac biet at Char House, as you did, and for the same reason. Thanks for the reply. (Why do I want to say, “Chart House”???)

By the way, the best pho bo kho I’ve had (so far) in the SD area is at Pho Hung Cali in Chula Vista. Worth trying if you’re down there.

1 Like

Just back from Char House. My impressions:

The restaurant is larger than I’d expected, and there was a lot more parking out front than it looked like on Google Earth. I parked on Ruffner just south of Balboa, and you could also probably park in the shopping center where Office Depot used to be without being hassled. I liked the layout of the place – very nice, comfortable interior.

I ordered the pho dac biet, which came to the table very hot, a must for pho. The serving (large) was substantial and very filling.

I appreciated that the noodles weren’t stuck together in a big clump, as they are at too many other places. No clumps at all here. The tendons and other gristle in the soup were very tender, another big plus. The broth was beefy, as you described it, but, for my taste, I thought it was short on anise and much too sweet. Unusual for pho broth.

I’ll return to try other things on their fairly extensive menu, especially the pho bo koh, bun bo hue, cold bun dishes, and bahn mi. I’m also interested in trying their skewers. And (take note, Plumeria), they have vegetable skewers.

1 Like

The Taco Stand in La Jolla has been open for well over a year now. It is the Taco Stand in Encinitas that is due to open soon.

1 Like

Good to see you here Big E!

Hi Plumeria (BC). Good Seeing you.`

1 Like

:sunglasses::baseball::cocktail::beers::hibiscus:

emoticon allowance exceeded.

2 Likes

:grinning::grin::joy::laughing::innocent::smiling_imp::blush::yum::heart_eyes::sunglasses::confused::smirk::confused::flushed::scream::mask::angry::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::kissing_heart::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::baby:

Oy vey… :slight_smile:

Emotionally unstable.

1 Like