Restaurant Openings in San Diego 2015

Well, it was. At least that’s what my dad said…

My FIL grew up on a dairy farm in Minnesota and after spending the war on an aircraft carrier in the Pacific, he decided that San Diego was a heck of a lot better than Minnesota and not only did he stay here, but the entire family followed him out.

1 Like

Soft opening date for outdoor fired cookery, “Fireside By The Patio”, in Liberty Station set for Mar 9.

Fireside Press Release

Fireside by The Patio: 10 Things You Didin’t Know

Also the second Location for Buona Forchetta is opening at Liberty Station this month.

And the third one will open in Encinitas a bit later

That’s exactly my father’s story too. After having grown up on and around farms in northwest Iowa, San Diego and the GI bill looked pretty darn good after 4 years in Hawaii. He sent my mom a telegram and said if she wanted to marry him, she needed to get on a train to San Diego because he wasn’t going back to Iowa. She did. Her folks came out for a visit a year later, liked what they saw, went home, sold everything and moved to CA. Her sister and BIL followed a year later. One of my dad’s older brothers and a sister also ended up in CA. Compared to Iowa in 1945, CA was certainly the land of golden opportunity.

I saw that someone was taking over Brabant’s location, it will be called Del Sur and the new banner advertises it being a Mexican Cantina.

And people complain about the abundance of craft beer and burger joints…

I read that as well.

Del Sur Swings Into South Park

GCrudo now looks set for an April opening. Chef Pascal Lorange now has his menus posted on the website!
Crudo Dinner Menu

The items look pretty cool (and delicious). Japan meets Mediterranean.

Cudo food pics

Have heard Del Sur’s soft opening was pretty rough. I’d give it a few weeks to get settled in before trying it

I didn’t even realize it was open yet, I drove by it yesterday afternoon and saw the banner. Brabant has only been closed what, two months and they have the new space open and ready?

Cosmetic changes don’t take long…

Anyone tried the pizza at Pappalecco’s new location in Kensington (Adams/42nd)?

Kensington has always been a sleeper. I’ll bet one day not too long from now it’ll be the next local restaurant strip.

I think that day was probably many days ago.

On Adams east of the 15 fwy, you have places like Kensington Cafe, Blue Boehem, Clem’s and many others, as well as the new Pappalecco.

On the other side of the 15 fwy, on Adams you have a bunch of places whose names I can’t place now but I know that Zia Pizza is there.

Sorry but I don’t agree. Fish Public was the last best chance. And that was a flop. There’s no draw for me to drive to Kensington. I get over to Adams, in the 32+ Street range often, but rarely stop into Kensington. I think it has a lot of unrealized potential as a buzzing restaurant area.

No, I havent’t been to the new Pappalecco. Is the pizza better than Buona Forchetta?

I haven’t been either. I was curious, and a bit surprised, that Pappalecco’s would do pizza.

As to a restaurant strip, how many areas in SD actually have a restaurant strip that you’d want to go to? Personally, I think there’d be just one Convoy, and maybe no other place that I would go out of my way for.

You know, you’ve raised an interesting question.

First, the word “strip” that I used isn’t really quite the right word, but I think you know what I intended to say.

Second, Convoy has evolved into something I could never have imagined even ten or fifteen years ago. I remember going to the Korea House (if that’s the right name) and noticing that there were three or four other Korean places in the same little center. And now all of Convoy is amass with Asian restaurants, of every kind. It’s such an ugly street, with no parking and no esthetics. But yes, that’s the first street I’d name.

But there are others. The Goldfinch strip. The India St. strip. The North India St. strip. The Banker’s Hill strip. The Morena Strip. The Prospect St. strip. The 30th St. strip, both north and south park. Etc.

So true. And you can throw in 5th Ave. in Gaslamp (or maybe all of the Gaslamp?), University in Hillcrest, and Washington in Mission HIlls, and many others.

But how many of those places really draw your attention (as you say)? Sure, there are specific restaurants in each area that I will want to visit, but as a collective to explore (like Convoy)? Not many, if at all.

We like to go to different areas of town, almost never the same area on successive outings. So, when my DH companion and I are together, we tend to wander from place to place, not repeating a given area from any one week to the next. It’s fun to watch the changes taking place (as they always are) in each area, and to try something new somewhere, food-wise.

I really wish that TPTB in SD would see the obvious existing and potential local and tourist draw of Convoy, and do something to make it somehow more attractive. It’s a bonanza destination area for those who love Asian food, but at the same time a congested eyesore.