Retirement Dinner - Finicky Parents

But paying for the gas to drive from Acton to Chatsworth ups the costs considerably.

I actually don’t think @catholiver was trying to judge or say that you should cook at home. But, if your parents like something simple and will give you grief about an expensive place, maybe it would really just be easier to take them to a cheap, simple place that they like? I assume that’s all she was trying to say. And, yes, I have Asian immigrant parents, so… ::shrug::

2 Likes

Absolutely. In no way was I judging and I apologize again if it came across that way.

2 Likes

Here’s a couple of random thoughts.

How about La Vie (in Rosemead, yes, I now it’s SGV, but not typical SGV-fare).

Or how about Ma’s Islamic down by where you are (near Anaheim)?

2 Likes

Oy vey!
(just kidding)

Thanks to all of your thoughtful options. We decided to take them to Roy’s (thanks, @boogiebaby) to celebrate. Mom actually enjoyed her meal! Dad was quite happy because it was different from Mom’s cooking. A good time was had by all, and we used the gift card trick to round out the evening (@ElsieDee worked like a charm!).
This list is going to be useful for future adventures with my parents. I think LXSO is the next option provided that I can get a reservation…I tried and they were booked solid.

5 Likes

…what’s the gift card trick?

Buy gift cards to pay for the meal, so when your parents want to pay, you say “oh, I have these gift cards I need to use up, so I got it.” I’ve done that a couple times.

Costco sells $100 Roy’s gift cards for $79.99. Good way to save a few bucks.

@attran99: Glad the parents enjoyed their meal. We go to the Woodland Hills Roy’s with my parents once in a blue moon for a upscale change from the casual Chinese places we go usually with them.

5 Likes

Advanced parentry: When your parents also buy the gift card, and pay for the meal with it on the way to the bathroom. This was all done way before the end of the meal. So at the end of the meal, when everyone else is wondering why the check is not being presented, it’s already too late.

5 Likes

Advanced offspring:

Buy gift cards for parents @ Christmas so they pull the gift card trick next time we have dinner. I like Roys.

6 Likes

Those sneaky devils! I slipped away from the table mid-meal to take care of the bill with the gift cards and the balance on one our cards.

1 Like

Fighting over the check is a given in Indian families. There have been many times where someone gives their card to the server between the order is even placed, or tells the server when they arrive that the check is to be brought to them and them only. Or the “I’m going to the restroom, be right back” trick. It’s almost a game to see who wins (which means paying the check, which I’m not sure counts as a win…)

2 Likes

I too am a fan of the restroom trick!

1 Like

I’m so glad it worked and the evening was enjoyed!

1 Like