Rice Cooker

On rationale for buying expensive cookware etc. I was listening to Jacques Pepin talking about making a perfect roast chicken. He was talking about all of the elements that go into producing the perfect bird. One item he mentioned was having the right pan/roaster. He said that if you use a thin light weight pan/roaster the juices-drippings will evaporate and you won’t have any to make a pan sauce. Carrying that over to rice I speculate that a thin light weight pan would allow the water to evaporate before the rice is cooked. I say speculate because I’ve not attempted to cook rice in such a pan.

1 Like

On the chicken roasting comment, I use an old Lodge CI skillet. Not expensive. But it’s the right tool for the job.

Well, long story short, it’s touting the precision of the ironware, which will guarantee a delicious meal.

2 Likes

So apparently there is such a thing as a Persian rice cooker, specially designed to create tahdig.

1 Like

These are an incredible QPR!

1 Like

I wanted to ask on another thread - what is QPR please?

Quality to Price Ratio

Thank you so much. I kinda thought it was something like this but then I’d see things that didn’t seem that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve had mine for over 25 years…and it still won’t die. But the rice cook quality has started to subside over the last 2-3 years.

That’s quite a good ROI, no? :roll_eyes:

I downgraded from a Neuro Fuzzy unit to a 3 cupper and I’m blown away by it’s performance.

1 Like

It certainly is. No one is more surprised than me that it’s lasted that long. It’s since been replaced with the InstantPot.

1 Like

Since you were 5 years old? That is impressive!

3 Likes

Ha! You are too kind, @Bookwich. That rice cooker came with me to college…and managed to survive.

Ohhhh. I read that article and was SO tempted.

I do not need another small appliance. But - tahdig.

Ubiquitous in Westwood AKA Tehrangeles.

1 Like

Yes, but do you know a single Persian cook worth her/his salt that owns one?
I do not.
I know someone has to be buying this product, but I just don’t know who they are.